1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elsie Krassas - Sarong Sun Dress Dating help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by debbradee, Oct 26, 2011.

1. debbradee

debbradee Registered Guest

I'm hoping someone is familiar with her. I checked on the label resource and nothing and can only find minimal about her on the net and that's mainly people selling. Apparently she had a shop in Waikiki from the 30s onward. She started as a milliner and had some well known followers. She passed in the mid 80s. I'm thinking this Bolero and sun dress is from the 60/70s. It has a nylon back zipper, elastic shirring at the sides and the boned, bodice is lined with the same fabric. I would appreciate any insight you have to offer. composite_13196314378059.jpg View attachment 445

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is gorgeous...could you please make the label photo smaller though. The label and cut of the top of the dress and the nylon zipper leads me to believe it is from the early 60s.
    Our member Linn is from Hawaii and may be able to help out.

3. joules

joules VFG Member

The flaming coral color is incredible!
    I think you are in the ballpark for sure, with dating.

4. Another vote for 60s as well and early to mid. Because of the little bolero mainly. Also the straps are thicker. I tend to notice in the 70s that they are actually round cords or rolled material for straps. Does that make sense? I am bad at the terms but in a few more classes I am taking garment construction so I might know then haha! Older dresses tend to have flatter straps or in rare cases rhinestone chains.

5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I agree with 60s. I love Elsie Krassas, I have been fortunate enough to have several pieces from her.

6. debbradee

Sorry for taking so long to get back here. I was trying to figure out how to get that label smaller.
    I was hoping it was the early part of the 60's.
    I think my color is off, it is more red than coral.:( Back to the drawing board.
    It is a beautiful set, and what I did find out about her was good but was surprised at how little there was.
    Thank You all for your insight.

7. joules

joules VFG Member

I thought 60s too.
    Reds are so difficult to capture sometimes. It's a reddish coral then? Or no coral at all in the tone?

8. I see that orangy red, I have a very similar color by Adele Simpson that is 60s so I think the color is linked to that era as well.

9. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

I'm with early 60's also. I have a gorgeous late 60's Muu'Muu' of hers that I just love. Her work that I have seen is really nice.

Julia

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Is that a little frog type closure on the bolero? If so it might be early 1970's. I didn't live here in the 1960's but did consult Linda Arthur's book, "Aloha Attire" and this type of sarong style dress with bolero is a 1950's style. However, the nylon zip makes me think later unless the zipper has been replaced. I could be very early '60's - the length is too long for later in the decade. I did read somewhere that there were nylon zippers in 1958 so maybe it's very late 1950's if the zip is the correct brand.. I have a red and white Alfred Shaheen that is this style - with a metal back zipper. Definitely '50's. Has sort of a bullet bra top!

11. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Hi,

My Elsie Krassas Hawaiian dress has the exact label and dates to the 60's, probably later, had a nylon zipper with a metal tab (Talon brand). I haven't seen many labels for comparisons sake I admit. Does your dress have a firm built in bra? Your dress style is very 50s. Linn, why do you think the frog would date the dress as late as 70s? I have seen frogs in many Asian inspired 40s and 50s Pake Muu'. I'm not sure that would indicate a 70s dress necessarily?

Julia

12. Bunny

Bunny Registered Guest

I have a sarong dress by 'Paradise Hawaii' with an identical bodice design and a nylon zipper. No matching bolero though. Excuse the bad full length shot... the house has terrible lighting and the flash is no better. :BAGUSE: Maybe this will help, or it'll make it a whole lot more confusing!
    paradise1.jpg paradise2.jpg

13. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Bunny, That is an early 60's label I believe. I was Google-ing about and did see several sarong dresses with boleros and a few had frog closures and one label was definitely a Kamehameha 50's label so there you go. I still think early 60's. It could even be a cusper, as you all say. :)

I love those dresses! Your blue one is a gorgeous Pareo print and It looks like a beautiful sateen fabric too. I just haven't found one in my size as yet! Thanks for posting your photos!

Julia

14. Well since zippers has come up before. I can not remeber the exact date but Nylon/plastic zippers has been around since the 30s and encouraged for useduring WWII but fashion would not bend. I have read this from numerous resources. However, most plastic zippers from the early 50s and 40s have individual teeth just like the metal zips. Sometime i the 50s the "coil" came out, but the industry adopted them in mass producaiton in the late 60s.

So, unless I am confused, coil nylon zippers can be original to 1950s garments. I have actually had some in late 50s early 60s garments, and I have had the teeth plastic zips too.

15. Bunny

Bunny Registered Guest

Thanks Julia :)

Yes it's cotton sateen fabric all wrinkly from being in the mending pile lol I have to fix the straps so I can wear it. They're a bit too short with the current button placement.

16. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Wow--that's really stunning! And it could be as early as late 50s, since plastic or nylon coil zippers were in commercial use by then, mostly by high-end designers and not mass-market makers. I have several pieces from a designer's estate that I know are late 50s or early 60s due to the Union label, but they have "modern" coil zippers. Not sure if this woman would have been using them, though, but I agree with the others that early 60s would be a safe bet.

17. debbradee

Thank you for all the information.
    It is a orangy/red color, and you're right, it's difficult to get the proper color to show.
    The bolero does have a Frog type closure on it.
    The coil zipper is Talon with a red painted metal tab.
    There is not a firm, built in bra, just the boning put into the self fabric lining.
    Bunny, your dress is gorgeous and looks wonderful on you. Wish this one fit me.
    Thanks again everyone, your help is appreciated.