1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even more antique menswear: a dupioni? silk jacket and two shirts with detachable collars

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Mar 11, 2017.

1. This jacket has a bit more shaping than the the suit I previously posted:

IMG_4131.JPG
    IMG_4136.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Two shirts that I have not yet removed from their packaging. I can't quite figure out if the packaging is original. They are each taped closed on the back with two small pieces of yellowed cellophane tape.

IMG_4138.JPG
    IMG_4141.JPG

Attached Files:

3. I also bought several other items: a 1912 Sears catalog w/1000+ pages (including quite a few in color), loads of unused shoelaces in brown and tan, and several old books with interesting titles including: What a Young Wife Ought to Know from the Self and Sex Series by Mrs. Emma F. Angell Drake MD c.1902; and Watkins Household Hints by Elaine Allen, c.1941. Also, a lovely long rectangular black chantilly lace shawl, pieces of fine black sheer silk fabric, two boxes (one still sealed) of Coton Perle 5 by Cartier-Bresson, Paris, in color 119 (dark brown).
    An interesting sale and a lovely haul!

Here is a link to the sale notice with lots of photos if you want to have a look (I don't know how long the link will work):
    https://www.estatesales.net/MI/Warren/48093/1440021

cmpollack likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Another great jacket! Did you get any straw boater hats? I can see this silk jacket with a boater hat. It looks like a raw silk to me.
    This jacket looks pretty early as well.

The shirts are great too, I especially like that purple stripe in the 2nd one. I would say the shirts are either teens or twenties.

I don't think that's the original packaging for the shirts.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

So this was a by appointment sale...it would have been pretty impossible to run this like a regular sale as it was chock full of stuff.
    Some lovely items!

6. Actually, no, no appointment was needed. I went during my lunch hour on the first day. Goodness knows what I missed that was purchased in the early hours of the sale!

7. I was hoping to find hats, too, but no such luck.
    Thanks so much for the dates on the shirts and the silk type of the jacket!

8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

WOW - just looked at that sale. I would be tempted to go back Sunday if it's not too far - I assume what's left will have "greatly reduced prices".

9. I definitely am tempted to go back Sunday. It's only a 20 minute drive from where I live. I bought all the clothing they had but there were some good feedsack quilts. One especially interested me, it had some colorful novelty fabrics. I wasn't willing to pay their marked price but I'd definitely buy it if it were 50% off.

10. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The jacket could be early 1910s, when jackets were worn more waisted. But that is really just a guess. I haven't seen a belted back jacket much earlier than that. But I am no authority!

11. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Hopefully, you'll read this book and relay the advice: What a Young Wife Ought to Know from the Self and Sex Series by Mrs. Emma F. Angell Drake MD
    Interesting that she's a Mrs. and an MD

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  12. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

What a fabulous haul!

Those shirts are gorgeous, and I agree with Mary Jane they look teens or 20s. I can't make out the label on the second one, but here's a 1921 ad (from an Oregon newspaper) for "Splendor Shirts". I wonder if Phillips Jones acquired the trademark from another company--I found 1920s references to a "Splendor Shirt Co." in Manhattan.

[​IMG]

13. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

14. Yes but it was pretty well decimated. I walked away with nothing this time. What a fun sale!