1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evening Gown for October event

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by laughingmagpie, Sep 9, 2009.

1. laughingmagpie

laughingmagpie Registered Guest

Hey there!

As much as I enjoy hunting around myself, I'd love to see if any of you have something special you might direct me to.

I'm looking for an evening gown for a friend of mine for an October event. She's pretty sure it's White Tie, but it's possible it's Black Tie.

Wish list:

1920s-1950s
    Floor length
    Strapless is ok only if it has a matching bolero or jacket, it should be modest so far as skin-coverage goes, but vavavoom in other ways would be great!
    Measurements: 34-36" bust, 27" waist, 36" hips

All the best,
    Jen

2. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

3. laughingmagpie

Oh Ang - I looked at that dress actually! It is gorgeous!

Price is not the primary concern, but the main drawback to the Irene gown is that it's strapless and doesn't have a bolero/jacket.

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I have a lovely pink lace & tulle 50's gown with matching bolero on my site, but it looks like it's a tad small in the waist... I think the bust would fit. It may be able to be altered. Also a 1930's sleeveless floor-length pink lace with underslip--but it has that typical "straight" look--not a vavoom look, but the size is right. It has a matching jacket that needs help, though.

I might have a couple other ones; I'll check.... I usually have a lot of stuff in that size, but right now my gowns and formals are all really small or really big....

5. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Glad to know you looked! Totally missed the bolero/jkt need. Sorry!

Ang

6. joules

joules VFG Member

I'll have the souffle please. Ang, the bow of the Irene, is astonishing, as is the entire gown.

Jen, I'll keep an eye out, in case I run across something that might work, in my daily vintage surfing.

7. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

I'll U2U you some of my dresses I have for sale....

Good luck in the hunt for the perfect dress :wub:

8. missproper

missproper Alumni

I have a few dresses on my website that might work...is there a particular color she's looking for? :)

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

10. laughingmagpie

It doesn't really need to be a "vavavoom" dress but I added that since, even though she would like it to be modest so far as skin coverage goes, it can be as sultry, sexy, curvy, womanly, sophisticated as ever in other ways.

The jacket/bolero requirement is only there for a strapless dress, by the way. If the dress has wide straps or shoulders covered, that's fine, it wouldn't need a topper then.

Kim: Thanks for the link! What a sweet dress, but I think the waist is a tad too small (she likes them to be 27").

Anne: I'm going to save the link to the '30s pink number for her to look at, and if you find anything else I'd love to see it too. Thank you!

joules: Thanks for keeping an eye out for me! I'm still on the hunt :)

nostalgic collections: Thank you too!

Angela: No particular colour preference. Maybe not navy blue but we're open to looking at all kinds. Thanks for checking!

Hollis: Oh! That is cute! How awesome to get both an evening and cocktail length in one. I am worried the waist measurement is a bit too small, and sometimes that predicts poor fit across the shoulders and under the bust too (at least in my case I find that - it means my bigger calcium-enriched late 20th century skeleton is just not going to do well with it). Though the style looks like it might be forgiving to our modern quarterback shoulders. I'll certainly save the link to show her.

Thanks everyone!

Jen

11. laughingmagpie

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their suggestions!

We did have a wonderful success with one of Jody's gowns at Couture Allure:

http://www.coutureallure.com/produc...t-evening-dress-w-bolero-jacket-small-bust-34

My friend reports that it's beautiful, fits perfectly and she's very excited about it :USETHUMBUP:

Now, we're looking for a topper of some kind, just for a bit of warmth - either a wrap/shawl/stole sort of thing, or an evening coat/cape sort of thing.

The best colours would either be silver or grey to match with her silver shoes and accessories, or maybe something in the red/wine family.

Jen

12. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

That blue velvet gown is gorgeous! Lucky girl!

13. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

ooh that is too purty!!

14. eel

eel Registered Guest

that is a stunning gown! I wouldn't cover it...I'd just be cold. well... maybe a fur wrap, silver fox

15. laughingmagpie

LOL - I think a fur stole would be lovely too, but I think fur is out for this one.

16. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Stunning dress!!! I wouldn't cover it either except with the bolero. If it's cold where your friend lives she could wear a coat and leave it in the car!

Linn

17. bycin

bycin Guest

If you're interested...I have in my etsy shop a gorgeous 70s halter dress, with a matching ruffled shawl, that is gorgeous. It'd be really pretty on a fair-skinned, endowed lady.

But folks have posted such lovely things here...

18. tommyhaynes96

tommyhaynes96 Registered Guest

I really like the vintage collection on VintageBaubles. Cheers VintageBaubles!!