1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excited to have this but just how old is it and what is it?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by peaceful vintage, Jul 6, 2011.

1. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

So, I am getting ready to take photos of this garment and as I unbutton and unhook it I see this label along the seam of the back wear the buttons are that says Dress Design Copyrighted 1833 :wow22:! I realized this was old when I purchased it but now I am really wondering how old it really is and am happy that this label was inside.
    How old do you think it is and what do I call it? The sleeves above the elbow are really big but my manni does not have arms to fill them out. Should I put something like tissue in there so they puff out like I think they are supposed to be?
    This feels like a wonderful piece of history. I kind of wonder who wore it too but I don't suppose you all know that, haha.
    Please have a look;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting a little addicted to vintage shopping..Thanks, Caryn

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that sort of draping with skinny sleeves like that suggests 1930s, and to me, that tag looks like it might say 1933 rather than 1833, which would be era correct.

a copyright does not indicate that's the only year a design was used, but it can be a nice hint.

3. peaceful vintage

Well..I think the ruching and fabric looks just right for aroud 1933 but I really got excited because I thought it said 1833. Oh well..it is kind of hard to read because it is shredded a bit. I guess the 1930s is ok too, haha.

Mary can you please take a look at my other postings from today? I have two other postings but one is a cheongsam and I think I remember you helping others with those so I am hoping you can take a peek and tell me what you think.

Thank you, Caryn

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I agree with Mary. On first glance, the top looks 30s, and the tag looks like it could be a curly 9 rather than an 8. The fonts used on the tag and the fact that it's stamped rather than woven also fir better with 1930s than 1830s. I've seen that sleeve treatment before in late 20s/early 30s garments.

It's gorgeous BTW

5. peaceful vintage

Thank you Maggie. I think I may have won the award for getting with getting the date wrong by the most, haha..only 100 years off :o

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Agree with 1930's and that the label reads 1933! You've been finding some great old goodies, lately, Caryn!

7. peaceful vintage

Thank you Linn. You are so awesome!!

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It would have been an over blouse for a 30s bias cut gown in the same fabric. Beautiful color! The dress would very likely have had small straps.

Did you purchase this from the same place as the cheongsam dress you showed in the other post?

9. peaceful vintage

Hi Mary Jane, Thank you for your great info. All I need is the gown now, lol. Yes I did purchase this from the same place as the cheongasm.

Caryn

10. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I am dying to know where in the heck you are shopping. I have never such a parade of amazing finds. Lucky you!

11. poppysvintageclothing

Well, if you purchased this from the same place, there is a good chance your cheongsam would date to the same time frame as the blue piece. So you may well have a pre-war cheongsam dress as Jonathan had mentioned.

I feel the silk lining in your dress looks like it would be from the 30s. It's difficult to say without actually seeing and touching it but I believe that one would date to the 30s too.

Great finds, keep up the great hunting!

12. peaceful vintage

Well..I shop a lot of places but in this instance the gentleman I bought from moved his mom into a senior citizen center and all of her stuff that she had from the past was put into storage. She had tons of clothing. The storage units had locks on them and mom forgot the codes or at least she said she did. Anyways, the son has been trying to convince her to let him get rid of the stuff and so she has little by little and as he has been getting it out I have been looking at it and buying what I liked.

Wow..Mary Jane, that is fantabulous!!
    Thank you,
    Caryn

13. poppysvintageclothing

Hope you keep getting called to this mom's storage lockers, Caryn!!!

14. peaceful vintage

Me too Mary Jane, me too! :)

The lining inside the cheongsam is such a wonderful silk and it is sewn so nice that I bet the dress would even look and feel beautiful inside out.

Caryn

15. Linn

Can you go back and ask the "gent" to let you dig around to see if the gown that the jacket belongs with is still there somewhere?

16. peaceful vintage

I am going to get to go back probably in a week or two. Yay! She has a lot more clothing but he is working on her to give it up so she does not have to pay for storage. She is 96 years old and she is having a hard time parting with her memories but she is not going to wear or use the stuff anymore.

I am a newbie with vintage clothing though so at this time while I am getting some stuff that intrigues me and that I find fascinating because of the age and differences I am not doing as well as you experienced vintage gurus would do with it. I will get there though as I learn.

I peek at all of your stores. I love seeing your guys and gals items and the way you present it. Beautiful. :wub:

Caryn

17. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I like what Lynn said....try to find the matching gown. And don't sell the jacket until you find it.

What a fortunate thing for you, one can only imagine what is in there.

2 questions....what can you tell of this lady's history? Was she an entertainer of some sort? Was she wealthy when she was young? Her clothing so far is fabulous.

And...if you find any hats in there, please let me know, as I am happy to help with dating and identifying those. Even the plain looking hats can be a treasure. And then I get to see them!

Best of success with this.

18. peaceful vintage

Hi Barbara, I hope you are doing well. I always love reading whatever care to share. :wub:
    I will hold on to the jacket and try to find that gown. ;)
    I did ask her son how his mom had accumulated so much stuff and what his mom did when he was a kid. He could not tell me a lot of specifics about his mom but he did tell me that his dad was a military doctor who retired with metals and that they went to several official functions with her never wearing an outfit more than once and best of all he said she was the prettiest mom amongst him and all his friends and that she still is.
    She did have several hats..several...but she wants more money for the hats than the clothes. I wanted one of the hats really bad but the lining inside was torn so I did not know if it was worth it. I think that hat was from the 20s. Would it be ok if I take some pictures of the hats and show you Barbara next time I am there so I know what is what before I buy it?

When you buy vintage clothing you learn about so much more than just clothing. It brings back memories of life and history. I am finding it amazing.

Caryn

19. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Oh I so agree! Learning abut the elderly people who wore the clothing is a great part of the satisfaction we derive from this business. I especially love the very elderly ladies and their stories of the early 20th century.

I would love to see the hat or hats and help you with them. A torn lining is not a huge issue for most collectors, so if the hat is a good hat and is 1920's, even with flaws it is probably worth your purchasing it. I don't know how high she wanted, but 1920's hats are fast sellers and always do well on the market.

If you could take a photo of the hat, and also a photo of the inside of the hat (that is key for dating), I would be able to tell you whatever you need to make a decision. Write down any names/labels or writing stamped on the inside of any of the hats, even if you cannot take a photo I may have info on the maker.

Good luck!

B

20. Linn

The woman who owned these items was born in 1915 - she's now 96, so it's possible that the hats are not quite as early as the 1920's - because she would have only been 14 in 1929 - but perhaps she had some clothing that belonged to HER mother. When my mother passed away - quite young, in 1989, I found a 1920's beaded handbag that might have been passed on to her from either her mother or her older sister. She would have been too young for it to have been hers originally. It's too bad the clothes don't come with their stories attached!