1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excited to have this but just how old is it and what is it?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by peaceful vintage, Jul 6, 2011.

1. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Thanks. I thought about snapping some photos with my camera when I was there last time but I was not sure if it would have seemed funny so I asked him if it would be ok next time and he said it would be fine.
    I will post those here when I get pictures and that makes me happy because I thought some of those hats were great. I was also thinking I don't have a head to model them on, but maybe I will have to get one, lol.

Thank you, Caryn

2. Are you sure it's a jacket? Many vintage items have been altered, and this looks like the top of a dress to me - can you check the hem to see if it's original? It's not unusual for the skirt to be damaged, especially with fabrics like these and if she loved her clothes as much as it sounds like, she may have decided to alter it. I agree with the others on a '30s date.

Nicole

3. peaceful vintage

Oh Linn, I did not see your post. You must have posted your post while I was writing mine. I only noticed that one hat that seemed like it was from the 20s to me. It looked similar to ones that I saw in a 20s catolog.

The other hats based on what I have seen looked like they were 30s or 40s. One was made up of like all feathers and something curving the feathers in the hat shape underneath. I don't know if that makes sense when reading it as it does in my head. There were others too up to the 60s or 70s: ie; this round hat with a beautiful giant floppy rim. Of course I could be wrong on my date guessing. I mean I was only 100 years off with this one, haha.

Nicole, It wasn't altered on the bottom. I can tell because the facing is the same as the facing on the inside seam where the buttons are and inside the collar.

Thank you, Caryn

4. Buckarooandco

Buckarooandco Registered Guest

Do you have a pretty good rapport with this man? If you do, maybe ask if it would be possible to meet his mother.

She sounds so sharp still that I bet she could tell you the history of everything you're buying.

I'd love to have the history of some of the items I've bought.

And can you imagine the stories? Maybe she has pics to go with the dresses?

And she'd probably have less reluctance to sell her beautiful stuff to someone she knows cares about it!

5. peaceful vintage

Well..I am building a rapport with him because I have met him a few times now. I do not think at this time I could meet his mom though. The fact that I have to keep going back to get aa little bit of clothing at a time tells me that she really does not want to part with the memories. I am just grateful that I am able to get what I get.

I can imagine the stories though and photos to match the pieces would be fantastic. You never know though, maybe the time will be right sometime.

Caryn

6. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Can you show the reverse of the front of this piece showing how the ruched front has been finished/hemmed/faced?

7. peaceful vintage

Hi Vertugarde, Sure! I am happy to. Please forgive my over abundance of photos. I am a very detailed person and want to make sure you are able to see what you requested so you can tell me if you think maybe this was a dress, really is a jacket that went over a dress or anything else you may discover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please let me know if you would like to see anymore photos.

Thank you, Caryn

8. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Yes, I agree with Nicole that this looks as if it has been a dress. I can't see this working as a jacket but conceivably it could have been worn over an evening dress. In fact if the label is original to the piece since it says "Dress Design" it was a dress at one time. Are all the buttons functional?

9. peaceful vintage

Thanks for checking back in Vertugarde. Yes the buttons are functional and there are hooks and eyes too. The facing is the same at the bottom hem and at all the edges. In this case how do you determine if alterations were done?
    Caryn

10. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Experience. As Nicole has already pointed out the dress fabric below the bodice may have been damaged - cigarette burn or a tear, whatever. The fabric would be cut away from the bodice with the intention to re-model the skirt or possibly to leave as is but an evening jacket from that period would typically be open at the front at some point. I've never seen an evening jacket like that. You'd spend an awful long time with assistance getting it on and off. I've seen quite a few velvet "blouses" from this period that have been finished in the way your piece has with ribbon or bias binding or even just hemmed under. They were dresses originally.

11. peaceful vintage

I gotch'ya. In that case do you think the buttons should go in front or do you think they are correct in the back?

Thank you, Caryn

12. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The buttons go in the back. I am running out the door but will post a 1930's dress that has various layers including a jacket that goes over everything when I return. It's not velvet but it has oodles of loops and buttons.

13. peaceful vintage

Hi Linn, Great. I will look for it in a bit. Thank you. You rock. Caryn

14. Linn

Just took a look at the photos I'd saved and the dress I was thinking of does not have buttons on the overblouse. But this gown and cover-up does and it's similar enough in concept to your piece. The manni wasn't quite small enough - but you can get the idea!

Front:

[​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

Front With Jacket:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

15. peaceful vintage

Wow Linn, I see what you are saying and that gown and blouse is beeeeeauuuuuuuutiful!! :jawdrop: I love it.

Thank you, Caryn

16. Linn

It's not mine - it's part of the U.H. Historic Costume Collection.

17. peaceful vintage

Wow!! That is where you volunteered? Wait you still volunteer there from time to time I think you said. Wowsers!! You are so lucky. You have that beautiful beach right down the street and you have that museum!!

Caryn

18. Stunning ensemble Linn - thank you for showing it to us.

Caryn, thank you for the close ups. What you've called a "facing" is not a facing on the blouse/jacket. It's trimmed with bias binding which has been hand finished. That detail suggests to me that this is a dress that has been altered. A facing is a larger piece of the same fabric (or sometimes a different fabric) that is sewn along the seam and folded back and finished.

Nicole

19. peaceful vintage

Hi Nicole, Thank you for telling me that because I thought facing was any fabric whether it was bias or the same fabric sewn on the hind side hemmed to make the edges finished. I thought if the raw edges of the fabric were not showing it was finished. I can handle repairing a seam with thread and a needle but I know VERY little about sewing or sewing terminology. I am going to go look at some google photos to try to get an understanding of the difference. I am not really interested in learning how to sew to be a seamstress but understanding the techniques can be a guide to dating so I really want to learn more about that.

Thanks Nicole,
    Caryn

20. Caryn, what you have is sometimes called a "bias facing" - it does the job but is a piece of bias binding (usually cotton) sewn on to finish it. I haven't seen this technique used in '30s gown except where they have been altered.

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the bottom one may be a ribbon hem - which is different and could be original. If it's cotton bias binding too though (and it looks like it's been sewn with the same stitches) I vote for an update/alteration.

Nicole