1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excited to have this but just how old is it and what is it?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by peaceful vintage, Jul 6, 2011.

1. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Nicole, I thought it was the same at first but it is actually a ribbon hem at the bottom and not the same fabric as the fabric as at the neckline.

BTW Nicole...I was looking at another thread and you had a link to look at your facebook photos and I saw all of the clothing that you displayed. How exciting and wonderful!!

Thank you, Caryn

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Just to be sure - I am reading this correctly - is the neck line finished with a cotton bias used as a narrow facing and the hem finished with rayon hem tape? Usually, a dyed to match rayon tape would be original, although it certainly could have been salvaged from the hem of a discarded skirt.

At first I thought this was a dress top that had been converted to a blouse. With the button back it doesn't really function as a jacket.

Given the Dress label, it is also possible it was an over blouse to a dress like Lynn's, which would give the wearer the option of a more covered bodice for certain occasions.

At this remove, it's a bit difficult to be definite, but it can certainly be called an evening overblouse.

Hollis

3. peaceful vintage

Hi Hollis, The finish at the neckline looks like silk to me but if you and Nicole say it is cotton perhaps it is. The hem is finished with a hem tape that feels like satin but could also be rayon. I also looked inside the cuffs and they are also finished with the hem tape which leads me to believe this was not altered because why would someone who altered this put the same hem tape in the cuff edges?

I am not sure if what I wrote was confusing. Did I make sense there?

Thank you, Caryn

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't think it's been altered, and I think it's an overblouse that is very similar in concept to the one on the red gown that I posted.

5. peaceful vintage

Hi Linn, I hope you are doing well today. I think you are right because the fabric in the bottom matches the fabric inside the cuff edges and the photo showed me that there were overblouses like this.

Nicole, if you check back in can you please tell me if the cuff fabric matching the tape hem along the bottom makes a difference?

Thank you, Caryn

6. Caryn, thank you for the extra information - as it has the same ribbon tape (yes, rayon) around the hem and cuffs, it's likely to be original. I'm still confused about the neckline bias binding but I can't see how or why the neckline would be altered so it may be that the original facing was removed at some point.

I agree with Linn that you have an overblouse, and would have been worn with a matching dress. Hopefully the dress turns up!

Nicole

7. peaceful vintage

Thanks Nicole. I hope I can find the dress that goes with it. Caryn