1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric Identification Rant

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Vinclothes, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I needed some narrow silk ribbon to thread through the neckline of a 1910's camisole. I doubted our local Joanne's had any, but I was in there for something else anyway and asked a young clerk, who said, "Oh yes, we have silk ribbon." At the large rack of ribbon, I asked which was silk. She picked up a roll and said, "This is satin, 100% polyester." I told her, "No, I want ribbon made of silk. The fiber in this ribbon is polyester and the weave is satin." She gave me a blank look, then said, "I guess we don't have any." The training at Joanne's must be minimal, indeed.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have said to clerks, sellers, customers and pickers, " It is made of ______and the weave is_____." Talk about whistling in the wind.

Marian

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yikes. I cannot count the amount of times I have heard the question "is this silk or is this satin?".

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Ugh!!!!!!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That's how it is with many younger people these days, they simply don't know.