1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabulous fashion exhibitions in London

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Midge, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

So I was in London last weekend. The reason for this was to go to the theater to see Kenneth Branagh live on stage - and, boy, was it worth it. He's fabulous in "The Entertainer", which will also be broadcast live to cinemas on October 27th. Sophie McShera (Downton Abbey, Cinderella) and Greta Scacchi are also in the cast. If you can, go see it.

Anyway, since I had a bit of time, I went to see a few exhibitions too! First of all: Undressed: A Brief History of Underwear at the V&A: https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/undressed-a-brief-history-of-underwear
    No photos here, because taking photos wasn't allowed. Anyway, I loved how they set it up, because it wasn't just chronological but was also arranged by themes like figure-enhancing underwear, lounge wear, underwear as outerwear and such. Beautifully presented and just really, really good.

Then of course I couldn't leave out the 1920s Jazz Age Fashion exhibition at the Fashion and Textile Museum (http://www.ftmlondon.org/ftm-exhibitions/1920s-jazz-age-fashion-photographs/). I really love this museum - not big, but they put on great exhibitions, it's never crowded and you can get a really good look at things. Photography is allowed, so I took some snaps.
    IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg IMG_0358.jpg IMG_0367.jpg IMG_0360.jpg IMG_0370.jpg IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0380.jpg IMG_0387.jpg IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0390.jpg IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0399.jpg IMG_0403.jpg IMG_0346.jpg IMG_0352.jpg IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0341.jpg ScanImage14.jpg IMG_0342.jpg

And since I still had time, I also went to Kensington Palace for this small exhibition featuring things worn by the Queen, Princess Margaret and Princess Diana: http://www.hrp.org.uk/kensington-palace/visit-us/top-things-to-see-and-do/fashion-rules/#gs.7pE5H9c
    This was hard to take photos - a lot of people, and of course everything was behind glass. So I didn't photograph it all.
    The Queen:
    WP_20161009_002.jpg WP_20161009_006.jpg
    Loved this one with the bow at the back - what a stunner!

Designer's sketch... with, what looks like the Queen's notes on it too! And the finished dress... she had it made in a different color, and later the sleeves were shortened for another occasion. But she did wear it with those huge, floor-length sleeves!
    WP_20161009_029.jpg WP_20161009_034.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    Princess Margaret:
    WP_20161009_008.jpg Dior.
    WP_20161009_044.jpg
    Accessories. The scarfes were made for her - Hermès, YSL for Dior, Dior.

Diana:
    WP_20161009_023.jpg Always one of my faves. I think that dress is just sooo flattering. Even if you didn't have her perfect figure, this would make you look great.

So, yes, it was great! London can get on my nerves, I admit... several Tube lines were not running, the DLR wasn't running (and smart me had booked flight to/from London City Airport) and the Westend is just overcrowded with people, and there seem to be the same shops and restaurants everywhere around there and the Tube gets overcrowded too... (don't know why, but Paris never gets me like that), but when it comes to theater and exhibitions, it's certainly worth the trip!

Attached Files:

2. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

So fabulous!! Thanks for sharing your fantastic photos, I particularly love the dressing table/vanity scene. And the swimsuits and robes! And pretty much all of it! Thanks again

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I don't love the mannequins for the 20s show, but the clothes more than make up for it!

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

5. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Swoon!