1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur storage problem?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cotmyey, Mar 10, 2004.

1. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

I've got some furs that I didn't get listed for this season.
    I don't have a closet that is free from other clothes,that I didn't get listed!:mad:, and, I don't have any kind of cold storage.

so, would it be okay to wrap the furs(individually) in sheets, and place them in those 'rubbermaid' totes? Would I need to keep the lid loose so that air can circulate?

Thx. I've had to store furs before, so I'm completely befuddled on this!

Gayle

2. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

ps. the avatars size is not nice. I'll have to make up a new one!

3. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Gayle I would be afraid of them getting moisture inside the bins. Find the coolest area in your home that you can store them in. Do you have a very cooled room with an air conditioner. It is expensive to keep them stored usually about 50 per coat. So I would just find a cool spot. I don't think you should put in plastic either. There are storage tips on the fur resource you can take a look there. But most of it deals with cold storage.

Oh and yes I have to figure out what to do with my avatar Sue says it looks like an aborigenese.

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Gayle to you have enough room in your freezer (i.e. do you have a chest freezer?) that you can store them in?

Hee...that's all our freezer is used for now - storing fur and
    giving clothing the 24 hour in-out-in-out treatment.

Sue:)

5. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I dont think she should put them in the freezer the temp is supposed to be maintained at 50 in proffessional cold storage. I would think a freezer would be too cold Unless she used it for nothing but the coats and turned the temp down on it that may work.

6. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Pauline, I didn't know this! And here I thought I was being so smart with my 'cold storage'!

Sue:)

7. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

Wonder if you can turn the thermostat up on the freezer....not to defrost stage, but in-between. That's a smart idea. Heck, an upright one would work too...just hang em.

Brenda

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I'm not sure if there is a thermostat on this...it is an old
    chest style that we have had since we were married (30 years). Defrosting has always just been pulling the plug!

With the newer ones, if they aren't used for food storage
    I would think it would work.

Sue

9. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

Thx. All!

I do have an old 'round top' fridge, that only holds a ketchup container at the moment.(was supposed to be a 'beer fridge' but we quit drinkin' beer!)

I'll check with a thermostat, and see what the average is. I'll just have to open it and re-arrange those beasties every so often, eh?

Gayle ;)