1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone been watching "The Paradise"?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Midge, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I love costume dramas, and the trailer for "The Paradise" on BBC looked interesting enough. However, I've found myself just hanging on for the past couple of episodes to find out how it ends... The story hasn't really gripped me, I admit. But that's just one problem this series has in my eyes.

What keeps bothering me at least as much as the story are the costumes. I'm not usually the one to notice a lot of errors in costuming, unless they're really big, I admit that, but some of the dresses seen in this series just feel "wrong" - or even look cheap. Mostly it's Katherine Glendennings outfits. There was one white dress where the two colors it was trimmed with were jarring, and now in last weeks episode, that white dress with blue, fuchsia and gold trimming - it felt so overdone - and again, cheap, to me :(! And she's supposed to be a rich girl... And is it just me or does someone in that wardrobe department have an over-fondness for Chinese-style brocade? It crops up in so many of the outfits, but everytime in a different color. Also most obvious in the last episode. I have nothing against that type of fabric, but I don't like the way it's used in so many of the costumes - I doubt that it was THAT popular in the 1870s...

I'm also not quite sure about the shop assistant leading Miss Glendenning to sort of changing room to measure her for her wedding dress. She closes the curtains, so no one can see them - and then measures her customer over her dress? I know little about how these things worked in those times, but it seems beyond illogical. Shouldn't she have taken her dress/bodice off to be measured just with her corset/underwear on? At least it makes no sense to me looking at this from a modern view point. If I could have from my seat in front of the TV, I would have banged my head on something :wacko:!

Anybody else feel like this - or any other way - about The Paradise?

Karin

2. stephanie connor

stephanie connor Registered Guest

I love the paradise and any costume drama's, but must admit havent gone much on Katherine Glendennings outfits. I must admit I do feel that the costumes she is wearing look cheap and not at all flattering, the shop girl uniform that Denise wears it much more flattering. But I could'nt say if this is a true representation of styles and fabrics used in those days. Maybe as modesty was paramount in those days with even a cheeky ankle being tabou they werent allowed to strip their customers down. who knows. im sure there is someone out there that does on VFG.

Steph

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I used to be a big fan of costume dramas - it's how I got into collecting and becoming a fashion historian by trade. However, sometimes its best not to look TOO closely! I have been recently rewatching the Agatha Christie Miss Marpole mysteries - the ones done with Joan Hickson (who I still think is THE best Miss Marpole ever), however the costuming often has huge mistakes - the men's hair is very 80s in cut, the clothes range from 1948 to 1962, and they use a lot of 1980s pieces that LOOK like 1980s pieces. I try to watch Downton Abbey, but I find the costuming distractingly bad - even Mad Men makes major errors in costuming - especially last year.

I haven't seen The Paradise yet, but I watched the trailer, and overall it looks good, until you look closer and there are some very weird hairstyles that don't look like anything from c. 1870 - I noticed that the clothes were a range of c. 1868 - 1885. I think what they are trying to do is get the flavour without being academically authentic, which sometimes works - Jenny Beaven is excellent at doing that in Merchant Ivory productions, but these shows are too ambitious and try to fit out 50 extras plus the principles, and they just don't have the time to research and build what they need, or the money to buy what they need, and there is still a commonly held 'what does it matter - it's not a documentary' attitude amongst filmakers and fans of costume dramas...

4. stephanie connor

stephanie connor Registered Guest

Yes I would imagine it would be very pricey to have that many genuine costumes on a programme. especially when its in its infancy. Its a big lay out to make if you dont know if the programme is going to be successful. But it would be interesting to know if the costumes are right or not. I love the show though and am a major fan of downton abbey and although the clothing may be off, I think it makes you feel like you would have loved to have lived in that era, preferably above stairs of course.
    Steph

5. Midge

I've seen those Miss Marples with Joan Hickson, but that was way, way back when we first got BBC Prime here as the sole BBC channel - so I couldn't say anything anymore about costumes in them. But I remember enjoying them. Love Downton Abbey - a lot more than The Paradise in fact. Story-wise and costume-wise - they look kinda right to me, but there's a few things that I did notice... however it never disturbed me as much as in The Paradise.
    Jonathan, I can imagine the feeling! German TV was for the last 15 years or so full of these 90-minute (contemporary) romances that they would film abroad. The "fashion" sort of started with their filming all the Rosamunde Pilcher novels and setting them in Cornwall, all very picturesque and romantic. When they finally ran out of that, they invented other "authors" and went filming in Sweden, and then in Australia and in New Zealand. I'm not into these films as their stories are so always the same - if you've seen one, you know how the story works in all of them :wacko:. However, I watched one of the ones filmed in New Zealand, more out of interest of seeing a bit of the country and where they filmed it. It made me cringe something bad, because the way they put the scenery and places together was so totally nonsensical. And it's always like that when German TV films something in an "exotic" location. If you know the place, don't watch it, because it'll make you scream with frustration. Places that are hundreds of miles away suddenly are just around the corner and that kind of thing... I'm even wary of travel programs on "my" destinations.

Karin

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I've been enjoying The Paradise, but I hadn't been expecting it to have perfectly accurate costuming. I'm just enjoying the stories, and the characters and the setting. I agree Miss Glendenning's outfits struck me as costumes rather than real outfits - very obviously showy. I don't think it's brilliant, but it's entertaining enough for me.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I have not seen the show here in the USA, but certainly will look for it. I do try to park my critical eye somewhat and try to enjoy a show without looking too hard for costume errors, but sometimes there are SO many that it hurts. I recall that most of the hats on Downton Abbey being rather hum drum and middle class for such rich ladies, as well as some of the evening gowns being sparse and plain as far as fabrics and trimmings, and some day dresses and womens suits were off in dating. They even had some hats doing double duty, re-trimmed and passed on as a different hat! Gasp! It's true, look for it next time you watch. But I did get caught up in the story and I like the show. And I love costumes even when they are not perfect. But it is nice to see people at least try to get it right, sometimes the lazyness shows, I mean if WE see it, why don't they?

I will say that not having seen the show, and not knowing who Miss Glendenning is, and nothing of her social status, that it seems perhaps a bit odd that she would go to a dressmaker and stand behind a curtain and get measured by a shop girl. I would think that in the 1860s the dressmaker would go to the rich patron's home and take her measurements, or at the least take her to a private room at the shop where the dressmaker herself would take her measurements. And serve her some tea while she waited to boot!

8. I haven't seen "The Paradise" but I'm a costume designer by trade and yes, I frequently have trouble watching "dramatisations" and have to remind myself that artistic license is often applied.

It's when the mistakes are so glaring that it particularly upsets me - eg, last year we had two local TV series set in the '20s and one dressed up the main character in early '30s (almost every outfit highlighted her trim waist) and the second featured some sex workers in '40s satin bullet bras. Oh, how I cringed! The 1920s appears to be a particularly problematic era for modern viewers, rarely are they accurate, I'm not sure if it's because they want the actresses to look beautiful and sexy and the fashions just don't accomplish that, so they "update" them or make them "fashion forward".

Then again, I feel for film makers because modern audiences are much better educated about historical styles than previous generations, so you can't get away with the sort of things they used to do in the Golden Age of Hollywood when the styles were more current than historical.

As an example, consider Marilyn Monroe in "Some Like it Hot" wearing gorgeous and precarious late '50s stilettos, despite the 1929 setting - and Orry Kelly won an Academy Award for his costuming! Then again, so did that chap earlier this year for "The Artist". My enjoyment of that film was destroyed by the lax attention to detail.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Funny.....I was not impressed with the costumes for "The Artist" either and was surprised at the win at the Oscars. Then, however, I did get to see some of the actual costumes in person, up close. They looked much better in real life! So I changed my opinion a bit on that film costuming but I am still not thrilled with it. Funny, the film did not pick up the details, but maybe because it was black and white...I don't know.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Funny you mentioned class Barbara, because that is one of my biggest complaints - that and age appropriateness. It often isn't considered in costume dramas. One of my favourites continues to be Gosford park - a smaller film in terms of costuming, and the costuming is exquisite for the ages and social classes in the film. The best is a middle class guest who wears a cheap green dress - and it looks it! It's perfectly fashionable, but it reeks of cheap rayon instead of silk!

11. I loved Gosford Park! Just such a wonderful film in so many ways, and I couldn't fault the period detailing, or the costuming.

12. Midge

One more - I love Gosford Park too, in every way!

I searched some more and did find a picture of the dress that disturbed me so much: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcssx2LOir1qf00zpo3_1280.jpg . There was also some gold trimming/decoration on the bodice that's hidden by the muff in the picture. Denise got a dress using some kind of brocade that on the TV looked Asian-inspired and almost the same as in Miss Glendenning's, just in another color: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcssx2LOir1qf00zpo2_1280.jpg . And her shop girl's uniform - definetly some kind of Asian-inspired pattern in this brocade: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mczsucgirc1r5safao1_1280.jpg. This is a bit too much of that for me :wacko:.

@Barbara - that scene happens in a department store...
    I did by the way recently see another movie by the same crew that made "The Artist" - same leading actor and actress, same director. It's called OSS 117 and it's a send-up of 50s-60s spy movies. Very funny in many places, made to look like these movies did, with the very obviously "bad" shots inside a car, where you can see that the background isn't "real" etc. It's supposedly set in 1955, but the ladies look more like it's the 1960s. I don't know if that was deliberately done or not though...

@Nicole - that sounds horrible - and like the thing even I would notice :hysterical:. Yep, old Hollywood movies using historical costume are always easy to tell when they are from, as the costumes and hairstyles are always an interpretation of their time. Still, some of my favourite movies are amongst them. Somehow those costumes don't bother me even if they're not correct - they're just fabulous, technicolor old Hollywood. Good point about "Some Like it Hot".

Karin

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

OH DEAR GOD! That Chinese fuchsia dress is horrendous! There were some pretty insane colours in the early 70s, but that is wrong on so many levels.... and that blue thing looks Edwardian with its surplice bodice and high neckline - its just wrong.

I loved OSS117, but it is way off in the period - at least they got the feeling of a James Bond film right.

14. MissRita

MissRita Guest

I wish I had more time to watch these shows, they look and sound good even if the costuming is a bit off.

Miss Marple is my fave fictional character and Agatha Christie was disgusted with BBC's choices for the role. Imo, the best was Angela Lansbury in The Mirror Crack'd. Aside from her smoking in the film, very silly as that's something MM (or AL for that matter) would have never done, she was exactly what AC had in mind - tall, slender and astute. I wasn't surprised by the overwhelming success of Murder She Wrote years later, she was a natural in the role.

15. Midge

The blue dress has some kind off bustle thing going on in the back, with again would be more 1870s than Edwardian - which makes it even weirder if you think of it! I'm just recording the last episode now - I hope the costumes in it won't be quite so distracting! I'm not easily put off, but that was too much for my taste :).

Mhhh... I thought Angela Lansbury was actually a bit too young for Miss Marple. But I love Miss Marple too! I remember enojoying Joan Hickson, and I also liked Geraldine McEwan (ITV). But where ITV really hit the nail on the head is of course with their Poirot series. David Suchet just IS Poirot. I can watch these again and again. Saved me on a few ultra-long flights too. Trust Air New Zealand and Qantas to have a few episodes of these somewhere on their entertainment system.

Karin

16. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Those brocades are probably being used because they are a decent weight, readily available and inexpensive. Thai Silks carries them , even Joanne's Fabrics in the US has them in the rayon version.

Hollis

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  17. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Lansbury was made to look about 80 in the film, she certainly didn't look her true age!

18. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I guess it was Margaret Rutherford who Christie didn't approve of? Joan Hickson was actually told by Agatha Christie that she should play Miss Marple some day. That was in the early 1960s when Joan Hickson was MUCH younger and playing a bit part in an Agatha Christie movie with Margaret Rutherford playing Miss Marple. So, Christie's wish eventually came true.

19. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I really enjoyed the series, I did not to think about the mistakes, that was not hard as I do not know much about that time frame any way,
    What made me laugh was the amount of stock been unloaded in the yard and not much on display for sale.

20. Midge

Yes, good point about that! As I said, I'm not easily put off by costumes that aren't quite right, and know about the period just from my books and a few exhibitions, so I don't have the greatest knowledge either, but somehow these costumes jarred with my sense of what looks good - and felt like they were too much.

I'm usually very romantic :) - but I admit, even the last episode and the scenes between Moray and Denise didn't particularly touch me... Of course they finished the last episode with a big cliff-hanger. Still, I don't know if I will watch the next series. I have an inkling it will be a lot about Catherine getting back at the two...

Karin