1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating men's suit - Edwardian?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lily K.Chadwick, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Hoping for some help with this one (earlier menswear isn't my strength, but I couldn't pass this one up).
    The item in question is a striped men's suit, labelled S.B.Watts & Co. Though I realize they were a theatrical costumier, I've found others instances of their labelled items being original vintage (this suit in particular seemed rather Edwardian, at least in style), so would very much appreciate your help.
    Photos are once again from the seller, being one of the items which I'll be picking up when I come back to the UK.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Fabulous suit! Anxious to see where others will date it to.
    It looks teens to me.

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Gorgeous suit! From what I can see, it looks Edwardian, although whether it may have been made as a theatrical costume at that time is very hard to say. Can we see a close up of the buttonholes?

4. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Thanks so much for your replies Mary Jane and Hollis, they're much appreciated!
    Sadly I don't yet have the suit with me (am thinking of having it sent over, rather than waiting til I next visit the UK to pick it up), so can't yet get any closer shots of the buttons/button holes than the 8th shot.
    I did think that perhaps the the label was rather too imperfectly attached (both the stitching and the alignment) for it to have been originally placed there, if that makes sense?

Kindest regards,
    Lily