1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Victorian Corset Bodice

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Apr 25, 2017.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi all,
    I've had this corset bodice in my collection for quite some time and am hoping to narrow down the decade for this one. I know it's Victorian and have seen the pointed busk fronts dating back from 1850s - 1880s in some of my educational fashion books. Very distinct pointed front with fanned tail in the back augmented with lace and a small amount of beading. Eye/hook closures down the front, fully boned inside. There are also 3 hooks along inner back waist and inner back neckline - assume the waist hooked onto a skirt, not quite sure about the hooks at inner neckline.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Brooke

2. DaisyandStella

Oops here are photos!

Attached Files:

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The high waistline with the little polonaise peplum at the back looks more typical of the late 1860s to me, however, the deep pointed front is an earlier feature... so maybe at that point where the deep point would still exist but the newer features are around, so c. 1865.

DaisyandStella likes this.
  4. DaisyandStella

Wow thank you so much Jonathan! Your expertise amazes me and I am so appreciative of your knowledge. Thank you!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I totally reminds me of the bodice of a traditional Swiss costume from the canton of Berne, like the one my grandmother had made and which my mother wore too. Of course that is newer, but based on older styles (click on the thumbnails). This one was handmade in the 1930s by a seamstress.
    mieder1.jpg mieder4.jpg mieder5.jpg

mieder6.jpg See also
    Code:
    http://www.trachtenvereinigung-bern.ch/trachten/festtagstrachten/schwarze-sonntagstracht/
    This is the classic version, which is best known, the Berner Sonntagstracht - originally intended for Sundays and special occasions. This costume has been worn like this since the 19th century.

There is however a version called the "Tschöplitracht" (tschöpli meaning jacket) which has a few different versions, the most glamourous of which was intended for weddings. Biggest difference: there bodice has sleeves. Here are some examples on the website of the association that looks after preserving this costume tradition:
    Code:
    http://www.trachtenvereinigung-bern.ch/trachten/festtagstrachten/tschoeplitracht/
    The last one, the Gotthelf version, looks like what your bodice is like. This one is named after a 19th century author from the canton of Berne, Jeremias Gotthelf. It was designed after illustrations for his stories made by Albert Anker - who was a very famous 19th century Swiss painter (if you do an image search for him you will see paintings of women wearing similar outfits). All versions of it are most of all simpler than the Sonntagstracht - less jewelry, and are always worn with a striped apron.

So in short, I think your bodice may well come from a costume like this.

DaisyandStella likes this.
  6. DaisyandStella

Very cool, thanks for all the info!