1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identify 1940's WWII Fur coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Arabella's Treasures, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Arabella's Treasures

Arabella's Treasures Registered Guest

I have been given this beautiful fur coat by my landlady who's mother was given this by her father during the war period. Audrey insists the name of the 'mink' fur is something like 'sysliki'? I cannot for the life of me find anything like that.
    It is very soft but also has strength to it. I wondered if it might be marmot? But it feels a bit different to marmot I have felt before.

Apologies my phone does not want to upload the photos the right way.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

That's really pretty and neat the way it is striped like that. I cannot identify it from what I see so far. There is a fur type that's called Kolinsky. It is a weasel but I am not sure if your fur type is that or not. Could you please show me a photo of the back of the coat and describe what the texture feels like to you?

3. Arabella's Treasures

Thank you Caryn,
    Here are two more photos, one of the back and one with my finger to give you an idea of the scale of the pelts. There are small stitches on the lighter stripes throughout. The feel of the fur is very soft but no downy fur. I am sorry I cannot elaborate on that.

Attached Files:

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Thank you for your additional photos. The pelts don't look large enough to be Marmot. Although they could have been cut down in size and then crafted together guardhair does not look long enough either.
    The size of the pelts do look right to be weasel. Kolinsky fur which is siberian weasel has in the past been termed Kolinsky mink because both are in the weasel family. They are actually different animals though.
    I am wondering when Audrey said the 'mink' fur is something like 'sysliki' if what she was trying to recollect was kolinsky mink.

5. Arabella's Treasures

I think this makes sense, I will mention this name. She did say it wasn't sable and it was a mink type animal, with a Russian sounding name.
    Thank you so so much for all your help.