1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me find a birthday dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by midwestdarling, Nov 15, 2009.

1. midwestdarling

midwestdarling Registered Guest

So I'm a little early, my birthday isn't until january 20th, but I'd like to get started looking soon! I'm looking to find a dress to wear to my 21st birthday, I'm a younging! Don't worry, I won't be stumbling around some back alley bar, it's going to be a classy affair. I'm kind of a hard to find size, things are either to small or much to big. I'm wondering if any of the wonderful sellers here had anything to offer?

My measurements are 42, 37/38 ,43/44 . I find a lot of vintage dresses are just two inches too small in my waist area. Maybe I need proper foundation garments? Any help in that area would be much appreciated as well!
    My favorite time period would be early sixties, late fifties.

Thanks in advance,
    Paige

2. Hmmm, that is a bit difficult. Your best bet is to look for something that will fit you in the waist section and have the bust and hip taken in to fit you there. You will find that many dresses from this time period will have an 8-10 inch difference between the bust and waist and between the waist and hips. A shaper or corset may also make a difference. At this time, unfortunately, I don't have anything with a 37/38 inch waist, but some of the ladies on the board might.

3. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

yes deffinately use a shaper... #1 feels good on your back, #2 you will look AWESOME and curvy, and #3 it protects the garment structure lol... ok its awkward and restraining at first, but now you know why women were stiff looking in movies, and always bent and sat proper. I think all glamorous women wore them at some point and the average waist had been trained 4-6 inches smaller thab their natural waist. I am currently training mine...loving the results! Get a vintage corset or medical kind. the cheapy ones made today are not strong enough for waist training and those that are are 200+ unless you found a source and if so share! lol

and tailoring is a great idea! but i would make ure they dont cut out the fabric so it can be let out later.

until then i will be on the look out on eby for your waist size... I only have the aneroxic sizes right now lol

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I have a large batch of larger sizes that I have not yet sorted out & measured, but if you have any favorite colors or fabrics, let me know and I'll see what I have. Many of them are 50's styles. I agree that to get a fit in the waist you'll likely have to get one larger through the bust & hips, and have altered.

5. retroglamour

retroglamour Alumni

6. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Happy Birthday! In looking at your measurements, your body shape is probably better suited to a mid to late 60s dress with an a-line shape. These styles work much better for me too! And there are lots of fun sparkly dresses from that time period. I have one on my site that would probably fit you perfectly, although you would probably want to shorten the length and perhaps the sleeves as well for a more youthful look.

http://www.coutureallure.com/products/vintage-60s-mod-silver-geometric-cocktail-dress-xl-bust-43

7. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

OHHH Jody I love that dress,, very hip for sure,,,, Im not a big later 60s fan but I love eccentric and unique and that is so 60s but so unique!

Very pretty!

ps just bought a smaller shaper today wooo hooo,,,
    I tell you what I am 10 weeks postpartum and it makes a HUGE difference.... I was wearing my girdle everyday and though I am still thick in the center, its kinda flush looking, no big bulge at the bottom, so I got confidente and went 2 weeks without it and I noticed I looked bloated again so I put her back on during day and now when I take it off at night,,, voila fat but flat tummy! I love them they help muscles as long as you use them :) and keep them in the right place while protecting your spine! kinda like Pilates! (sp?)

Good luck and Happy Birthday

8. midwestdarling

What kind of gridle did you buy? Also thanks everyone for the recomendations!
    My favorite colors are greens and blues and golds.
    :)

9. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

I use a traditional lace up corset once a week to start my waist training, but for everyday wear I buy the modern exrafirm control from wal-mart

I get the full thing from hogh waist and covers the butt... ( i hate that it flattens the tush a little too, but I have to compromise) I get the full one so there are no bulges around the waist line .. well i can not find them on walmarts web site they have a missing link to intimates and I can not remeber the brand...

I will look later today...

If you are going to go old school about it,,,, you either get a "full" corset that dips low to cover the tummy ,, but they are hard to wear all the time and tends to roll when sitting for a period of time...

the best way, even thought you feel like you are suiting up for a football game, is wear a shaper girdle (shorts kind) and then a bustier or strapless corset / upper girdle. If you do just one you end up with all your meat coming out of either the top or bottom,, and trust me even though mine are from the 40-s and 50s and I consider them very modest cause they cover everything. My HUbby LOVEs them,,, its sad I wear them for me not him and he likes them better than see through lingere,,,, he says because it remonds him of old movies and pin up girls....

so even if you don't feel sexy in them and you would die if you thought a man knew you are wearing them it seems most still find 'em sexy... or maybe its just my man! lol

Sorry so long but I had a lack of self esteem when first wearing them but my hubby turned that ALL around :) esp when he pointed out the EVERY woman in holywood back in the day wore them and actually most do in movies now!

10. Sweetrockingal

Sweetrockingal Registered Guest

questions what style do you pefrer full skirt or straight? i have lots of clothes in this size i dont have them for sale since its my own dresses but i'll take some pics for you of some of the dresses... i have some nice wiggle lurex dresses: black and silver, and a black and blue, and a black and turqoise; also have full skirt dresses from the fullest circles to a-line.... also have a silk chiffon dress with sequin embillshings a pinkish purple lace full dress with taffeta and a taffeta with chiffon dress.... lots more but cant think lol sorry just let me take some pics for you maybe by next week.... although my b-day is next week so i might be out of town... i'll try to get them up as soon as i can ;)

11. midwestdarling

If you have a wiggle dress in my size I'd love to see it! Thanks so much for taking time to go through your own clothes! :) This forum is great!

12. Sweetrockingal

yes have lots of those i'll have to take some pics this coming week :sunshine:

13. Sweetrockingal

hey sorry it's been forever and a day finally got some pics to share with you

Black with Blue Lurex Late 50s early 60s dress collar with bow:
    [​IMG]

Blue chiffon with pink silk taffetta lining, sequin and beaded floral detail side sash like faux sarong:
    [​IMG]

Black with silver lurex dress has matching belt not pictured, also have matching shoes that didnt come with the dress but are the same fabric sz 7.5 shoes not for sale unless you are interested in purchasing both:
    [​IMG]

black with turqoise lurex in zig-zag design 3/4 sleeve dress with sweetheart neckline:
    [​IMG]

i have more detail pics and more dresses to post for you these are just a few... i'll have to remeasure them i don't remember exactly what they measure at they are all about a 36" waist first two are larger i believe hope i can help ya find a dress :D

14. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Ohhhh Ahhhhh - that Blue Chiffon is FAB!

15. tommyhaynes96

tommyhaynes96 Registered Guest

I agree with Jluthye. Tailoring would be the best option for you as you're looking for a vintage style dress.