1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Oufit needed for Vintage Fair!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by awaywiffairies, Sep 9, 2009.

1. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

:hiya:

I need some help :help: I'll be selling at my very first vintage fair next month and would love to dress up in some vintage.

Now, I'm not slim so that cuts out all the itsy bitsy outfits (unlike my friend last night that fitted into a 26" waisted dress that was too small for my dress form!).

Now, it's a nightmare looking for clothes and I've given up quite easily as I'm basically top heavy but smaller down the bottom half, so drives me crazy cos dresses are mainly out of the question, as might be ok on top if I find a size 20 dress but swamps me skirt wise and I end up looking bigger, so I'm really after separates.

So, I'm a UK 14 skirt wise if it's a loose hip style (tho been puting more weight on recently so I might be kidding myself there) but 18/20+ on top. I need an outfit that's going to flatter my figure if that's possible! I'm happy with knee length as my leg's are actually slim (the fat hasn't travelled that far down yet lol!). I'm a bit of a Diana Dors shape but blown up!

Any clothes you have in your shops that might be appropriate, then let me know! Oh, I'm also in my mid 40s so can't get away with the young stuff. Need colours that go with blonde, blue eyes....(don't suit white, cream) though I might be going auburn if I'm brave enough.

....and I love the 50s...(if plain top, a 50s scarf would be nice to detract from my top heaviness)

Sarah

ps no I haven't been brave enough to measure myself...gulp! I know I will have to...

2. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

Yes, please post your measurements It will make it much easier, I'm sure some VFGer has your dream outfit!!

3. Hi Sarah, I agree; measurements are a must. I am also curvy so I know how difficult it can be to find something that fits correctly. Also, how tall are you??

As far as having trouble with dresses, what you can do is to find a dress that fits you in the bust and then take it to the tailors and have them fit it to the other areas of your figure. If you have a good tailor this should result in a dress that you love!!

4. awaywiffairies

Not proud of this as put on sooooo much weight this past year :embaressed: 48" bust - 36" waist " - 40" hip :lalala: Actually my measurements so shocked me, it's definitely diet time!

I was searching last night and found one dress, but not sure if would make me look bigger as 60 hip, but ok on top. Also not sure the style would make me look like a grandma. I do have trouble with dresses, but couldn't see alot else & my eyes were fried after the millionth item.

Sarah

5. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Goodness gracious woman, anybody think you were an elephant by what you posted! LOL, your only a tiny bit bigger than me!:P

I understand the boob thing, everywhere else fits except the boobs but bullet bras DO help fit into vintage as they squsih everything up and outwards.

I don't have anything on C&C to fit a 48" bust at the moment (although I have had some lovlies in the past!) but I will check to see what's on the rail downstairs to see if I have anything "waiting in the wings" for you. :)

Lei

6. I've just found this rather lovely frock on Etsy which I think should fit you perfectly. The colour is really pretty and the shape is flattering. Should look lovely with your blonde hair and it's only $29.98 - bargain!! This will be a comfortable dress to wear all day at the fair. The sleeves are short, but not too short and the fabric will keep you nice and cool. I love it!

Here's the link:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28144448

7. awaywiffairies

Lei, It's just handling all those itsy bitsy vintage pieces that makes me feel huge lol! Yes, if you could look for me that'll be great.

Louise, oooh that's a darling dress, I'm loving the neckline, as you say very flattering and good price. Was thinking about the length shoulder to waist is only 17" which means the waist will probably ride up right underneath my boobs which may not be so flattering lol...17" is short isn't it? I didn't miss that dress, I was working backwards date wise and only got as far as beg of Aug. I did see another dress that was lovely, but 60 hip is big and 43 waist, but 50 bust is great!(see what I mean, ok on top, swamps every where else) ...could you take a peek and see what u think..pretty please?

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26897258

Sarah

ps think I'm gonna need separates...maybe 1950s/60s sweater girl look, but I do like a nice frock!

8. Hi Sarah, I love the blue and white dress. It's very classy! Again the colour should work for you too.

The other dress I found may possibly be a little short in the waist for you. It's a shame you can't see the waist detail because of the belt. It looks like a wrap-over dress doesn't it?

Sweater girl look will be lovely with a nice scarf. You can get away with narrow-leg trousers/leggings if your legs are slim and perhaps a lovely vintage tunic worn over the top with a hipster belt and scarf :)

9. Sarah, you certainly don't need to worry about your figure - I'm another one who isn't so far different although I don't have your great legs - my measurements are 40-32-45.

I think you need to do two things: not draw attention to your bust (which will easily dominate) and show off your legs. I would dress you in something with a V-neckline and if you feel a bit exposed, just wear a scarf or necklace - or my trick is to wear a petticoat underneath for a bit of frill/thrill. I would avoid full skirts as they'll only make you look frumpy.

The large collar on the first dress is lovely, but will make you look like you're all bosom: those shapes are great for pear shapes like me, who need evening up. Likewise, the second dress will (I think) do you no favours.

My suggestions are a '70s wrap dress (ala DVF) or straight leg pants with a loose top over. That way you can be comfortable - how about if you go visit a dress (preferably vintage) shop and try on some shapes and see what you like? I had a great early '60s cocktail dress recently that would work well too: slightly empire line, with a pencil skirt and nice pleated detail over the bust. Perfect for an inverted pear like you.

If you're looking online, may I recommend that you measure the down the bodice to the waistline! As you say, 17" is probably too short. When looking for clothes it's the first measurement I look for, as you need the waist to sit in the right place. Good luck: beautiful clothes are within all our reaches, you just need to consider measurements and what will suit your figure.

Nicole

10. awaywiffairies

That's the trouble with dresses, I can look 'matronly' and I don't want that! I do like the sweater girl look and a scarf would be fab, trousers wld be ok tho not leggings, my legs are ok, but only from the knee down lol! Would like a sweater girl/skirt look with beautiful shoes like this which I could get away with (40s look wld be cool though I have a inverted blonde bob!):

[​IMG]

but I don't think I'd get away with this sweater girl look and I wouldn't do that to the world, don't wanna scare customer's away (she wouldn't...I would!)

[​IMG]

11. awaywiffairies

Nicole!

I posted as you posted! Thankyou for that advice, I'm actually very bad at clothes shopping so quite often I just don't bother, I'm good at interior design ie dressing a room (so I've bin told), but not myself!

Well, I never thought myself of as an 'inverted pear' lol, though I guess it goes with my 'inverted bob' :wacko: But yes we are both pears aren't we, but opposites!

V necks are great, very flattering and I do like the wrap tops and yes slinkier DVF style dresses. Definitely got to make sure shoulder to waist is right as that would look so wrong!

Could my shape get away with the look in my first photo in my last post?

Sarah

12. awaywiffairies

Also, I don't have any transport at the moment and I live in a harbour town with no boutiques let alone vintage ones, so hence looking online.

I don't have many shoes, as I'm a UK size 4 and have a wide feet so hard to find a nice pair to fit, but these old faithfulls are great cos they give height to my 5ft 4 and are tie/lace ups so give width (comfie too), so ideally I need an outfit that I can wear these with:

[​IMG]

Your help is really appreciated!

SArah

13. Cute shoes :headbang: I think that skirt and sweater style will look great! I agree with Nicole that a V-Neck sweater will be the best option worn with a lovely vintage scarf. If you can find a skirt that doesn't gather at the waistband and skims nicely over the tummy and waist. Find a thin cotton/wool sweater rather than a chunky knit. :)

14. awaywiffairies

Thanks Louise, though not as nice as your Garbo ones :wub:

Yes, I think that look sounds fab! A line skirt jus below the knee or straighter?

15. awaywiffairies

Actually I really do like that look in the 1st photo.....so A line skirt but skimming over the hips.....with either a V neck sweater (definitely not chunky!) and scarf or a sweater with a little peter pan type collar and scarf like the model's wearing...it's all gelling now! ...and the belt's cute too...

Thanks everyone and if anyone's got anything on their rails....!

Sarah :drinking2:

16. I'd go for a straighter shaped skirt which will elongate your 5'4 frame. You can't go wrong with a classic black skirt and brighten up the outfit with an array of fancy scarves. If you've got a scarf clip that will finish off your look beautifully. :) I think your bob hairstyle will work well with outfits from any era - it's a classic shape, just like mine :headbang:

17. awaywiffairies

Thanks Louise,

So maybe not A line lol! Ok I'll look for straighter style. Yeah, bob's are so versatile and I'm pretty lazy so it's easy maintenance and looks neat and tidy as you know! Do you think I should be searching online for 40s or 50s, maybe 40s re my shoes (think I answered my own question there!) Promise this is the last question!

Sarah

18. awaywiffairies

...actually Louise, you've got some scrummy scarves...so I may well be looking your way to complete the outfit!

Sarah

19. We are definitely on the same wavelength! I've been taking photos of more scarves this morning - just by coincidence! Send me a U2U with your email address and I'll send you some photos of the scarves I've got before I list - give me a rough idea what colours you're after. I'll do you a super-special deal if there's any you really like. :)

20. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

oh honey your measurements sound like a curvy bombshell.:wow22:. I wish I had a little more on top!! I'll look through my stock this morning.