1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Oufit needed for Vintage Fair!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by awaywiffairies, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

As another gal with curves, I can say that when you have a little extra up top, your best friend is a really well fitting bra. I was really amazed that I look very in proportion and people I buy clothes from are surprised when I say my measurements because instead of seeing the boobage as a fashion problem, I look perfectly in proportion. The answer was a smaller band size and a bigger cup. So I recommend if you haven't been fitted in awhile or never, to do that first especially since you have gained weight. I know I am shaped a bit different because my waist is tiny, but now the top portion is not the first thing that people notice about me anymore.

I agree with a v neck - and it doesn't even have to be a plunge. Just even a slight v or a triangular neckline sort of breaks things up visually. I have a couple that are just a v a little under the collar bone and they make a huge difference as opposed to a round neck. A portrait collar or princess neckline might be good too because it acknowledges you have a chest but draws the eye to your face.

I would also shoot for a monochromatic look or an overall pattern versus something that cuts you at the waist visually. I also have found that putting a pattern up top breaks things up.

As far as a sweater girl look, you could definitely do the sweater/matching cardi look because even though the sweater has a round neck, the v might visually break things up.

2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Sarah, I may have either a dress or some separates that might work for you. Nothing listed, but a huge inventory of things. Will check when I'm down in my stock area later!

3. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

I might have something!!

I bought this for myself from Chris (listitcafe) but I have such a wimpy petite frame I look like a child playing dress up. Its a 50's curvy black sweater dress from Goldworm. I took these shots on my "plus size" manni (shes like a modern 14/16) and it looked very bombshell on her. I measured and with the stretch allowed from it being a knit will more than accomodate your measurements. I haven't listed it, but expected it would do well when I did.. or it might just come live with you :kiss2: It has short sleeves with drawstring ties to make them a good fit for any size arms, scoop neck, straight skirt

here's a quick shot

4. :wow22: That is one gorgeous frock Beth! :)

5. Patentleathershoes

I agree!

That would be a great look.

6. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

Hi, i know what you mean about well fitting bra, I did buy a couple recently and it made such a difference, they were pointing the right way and not downwards were a good start! :o

Good point about what sort of neckline I need and the colours etc, as I say I'm fine with decorating and dressing a room, but useless when it comes to dressing myself.

Beth, that is a fabulous dress! though one of the bains of my life is my pot belly and I think that would accentuate that part unless I wore a girdle, also re discussion about necklines, would that round neck suit? Cos of the tummy, I always go for something that doesn't cling cling and often with separates the top has to jus go over the tummy. It's not a colossal belly, but it isn't small by any means so I could well feel uncomfortable as it would accentuate that part unless anyone disagrees. Darn that belly of mine and darn those white chocolate Magnums for being so yummy! :(

Anne, yes I'll be interested in what you unearth......

Sarah :dogs:

7. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

I'll go ahead and put her on Etsy later today (once I get better photos) so you can check it out in more detail if you decide it might work.. I know what you mean about belly, I've had three kids and I often wear a girdle whenever I wear vintage. Most gals back in the day did wear underthings to slim them down.

8. awaywiffairies

....whenever I think of girdles I think of uncomfortable restraints, do the modern ones really work and at the same comfortable? If so, I'm interested in that dress!

Sarah

9. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

Shapers are usually lycra spandex and pretty comfy

10. Patentleathershoes

yes, the round neck would suit. What I meant by a round neck is when you look at a regular ole t shirt... its a high round neck. That wouldn't work. But the dress has more of a scoop.

To manage a pot belly, you could still manage that dress if the fabric wasn't clingy in the hips and be careful about belts. Ladies wore foundations then anyways. It won't turn you into a 26" waist but it will just give you a slightly smoother line.

Another idea is to wear a topper that has a vertical visual line.

11. There's all sorts of amazing foundation wear that will smooth out your stomach and hips. Ok, perhaps not the sexiest of undergarments in the world but who's going to know? :scratchchin:

Here's a couple of links I've found but I reckon everywhere from M&S to Primark will stock something similar. As long as you get the right size that won't constrict your blood supply that is! :)

http://www.weightworld.co.uk/micro-massaging-shapewear.html?gclid=CL62vI-455wCFdYB4wod1n3QHA

http://www.nylondreams.co.uk/section.php?xSec=72

12. awaywiffairies

:USETHUMBUP: so much to everyone 4 all the helpful feedback. Sorry 4 delayed reply but had to go out for my partner's birthday and I've gone down with the lurgy, which wasn't nice travelling on the train :barf:

So, gonna crash out totally and will check that lovely dress out Beth and your links Louise. I do love that dress Beth, was thinking about that alot on the train to take my mind of feeling ick!

Louise, as soon as I make my mind up on an outfit then I'll know what colour/type scarf I need but I already love so many of your's already listed, they're heavenly.

Amber, yes, good idea re altering a dress, didn't think of that :duh2:

If anyone else has any appropriate separates or dresses on their racks then either post or U2U me :)

Thanks everyone, now I'm off to :fainting:

Sarah

13. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

Girl I am all hips and bust! lol let me tell you :) I'll check out what I've got and send you a message on etsy :) after I read and see if you still need one that is! I haven't listed many of my larger items, because they're my size lol! Mostly I have 60's or 70's though but you never know, maybe you like. I'll check it out later.

14. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

Ooooo oooo ooohh I have the CUTEST mini skirt!! OK I gotta actually read this thread - I scope out bigger sizes - OK I gotta run, man I have no time these days! I miss you all!! I so want in on this convo!!

15. awaywiffairies

Louise, Micro massaging shapewear with cellulite cream, good grief, now I've heard it all now! Thanks 4 the links...may well hv to invest!

As I measured myself which can b tricky, I got my partner to do it & some of my measurements were out, lost some on my bust & gained on my hips...now that's not fair! So if anyone searching their rails I'm 44" bust...36" under bust...36" waist 42" hip.

Marty, I'm glad u like the thread, I know what u mean bout covering up, I too wore baggy tops, baggier the better, but when I hit 40, I totally changed & became less self-conscious bout the boobs, I mean, I don't let em all hang out, but try & go 4 more fitted looks.

I've written down all advice given on what best suits my shape colour & style wise, so huge thankyou 4 this invaluable advice which not only helps me but others with same shape.

Val, show me your wares if u can part with em & if anyone else has anything....???? Glad ur a fellow curvy gal.

Still love Beth's dress, but not sure about the clingy wool, I would prob feel self conscious, but cld always acessorise, maybe a scarf/sash around the middle..brooch, necklace...but wld that destroy the look, hmmm.

Toying with getting a vintage pattern and getting a dressmaker to adapt it to my size but prob cost alot. I wld LOVE Louise's Chatsworth dress in black to slim me down or the print if I cld get away with it, the style & cut is just what I'm after. PERFECT!

Sarah (still got the lurgy :barf: )

16. I agree you would look great in a frock like mine. In addition, I think the rouched area around the tummy/hips will hide a multitude of sins if you're not confident in that area. :) AND, the rouched look is oh so 'hot baby' for 2009/10 winter fashion trends! :) Don't be afraid of colour. I've not seen a photo of you so don't know your skin-tone/eye colour but have a play around with fabrics against your skin to see what works best (scarves are a great example)!

You know a tailor might be worth investigating. I'm sure you can find some beautiful vintage fabric (or vintage inspired). Get your Yellow Pages out and see what's available in your area. Perhaps a quick email to see if they can give you an idea of the cost (with you providing the fabric) will be a nice little project. A good tailor will be able to work from any pattern I'm sure and you'll end up with a frock that fits your curvy shape perfectly! :) You'll be amazed how slimming a well-fitting dress looks - I guarantee it!

I'm getting excited about this! :excited: Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hope you're feeling better soon! :)

17. awaywiffairies

I'm getting excited now as well! I feel I have direction! :spin: Had a look on Etsy but can't see a similar pattern, so search goes on unless anyone else has a pattern similar to Louise's dress? (Louise, do you mind doing a link or posting a pic of your fab dress for ref..didn't want to link as not my post).

However, on Etsy I did find many gorgeous fabrics :drooling22:

I'm very pale skinned being half Irish so that's why being a bottle blonde kind of works though I'm toying with going red but not sure I'm brave enough!

But being pale skinned means being a tad careful with colours to avoid looking drained, but good idea to play around with scarves.

Thanks! :USETHUMBUP:

Sarah

18. By all means take a copy of the photo of my dress and send it to the tailors. I'm sure they could come with a very similar style. Perhaps a 'wrap-over' version of it with a tie belt at the side to you can alter size around your waist to fit?? Just had another thought, Boden to a range of vintage style frocks so you could perhaps use that for inspiration. They do a rouched waist shirt dress which you could get made into a V-Neck shape with longer sleeves?? Here's the link:

http://www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/WH158/Womens-Rouched-Waist-Shift-Dress.html

Another great site for vintage-inspired frocks is Vivienne of Holloway. I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration there too:

http://www.vivienofholloway.com/Womens-Clothing.html

19. awaywiffairies

Excellent links! Shame re 7 wk wait on the Boden one (like the dark charcoal vintage bouquet colourway).

That second link's brilliant too :wub: the 1940s Electra and Coronation styles....don't do up to my size & I wouldn't be able to get away with the pattern, but that's the style!!!

But your dress has the edge!

But I can take prints of all these along to a tailor, together with your one and hopefully they'll have an idea what I'm after!

Thanks Louise...your fab!

Sarah

ps just noticed the Boden vintage tea dress, though not sure that'll suit, but no 7 wk wait

20. Just realised that Ms Holloway isn't too generous with her sizing, which is a pity as those styles are great for very curvy ladies! Anyway, it's good to have some ideas for the tailor - if you decide to go down that road that is. Can't wait to hear your next instalment! :)