1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with fabric

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I am looking for help with identifying the fabric of these two dresses. I believe they are 50s, Both have crinolines attached. The second one has a bit of sheen to it.

Thanks.
    IMG_1682.JPG IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1708.JPG IMG_1710.JPG IMG_1713.JPG IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1723.JPG
    Victoria

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Vintagiality

Thank you. These are two of my all time favorite finds. To be honest, I am not very good with the burn test. It happens so quickly I have no idea what I am actually seeing.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The one with the sheen could well be a polished cotton and the other one looks like cotton.
    Both are lovely!

5. Vintagiality

6. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I can check my Textile kit if you send very close up shots of each fabric for you, if you still need some help.

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

8. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I don't think the first one is cotton. In the third photo, there's a cat's face that looks like taffeta so I would think silk or a man-made fabric.

The look inside is interesting: the hem has machine stitched hem tape so it isn't couture, but notice the little pleat on the hem. This would be expensive ready-to-wear.

The dresses are lovely and your photos are excellent.