1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Galanos dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Charlavb1, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Charlavb1

Charlavb1 Registered Guest

IMG_6432.JPG IMG_6428.JPG IMG_6440.JPG Just found my first vintage designer dress when I thought I was buying a hand sewn dress. I got home and as I was putting it on my mannequin I found tags. The construction is intense inside. Silk outside, silk shantung petticoat and silk chiffon lining both.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. Charlavb1

Will post my questions in other forum. :)

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Found this on a Pinterest page (search Galanos dress flowers) BUT can't back track to find source/copyrite info, etc.

. ba2372295cbb7122aa24624627f62216.jpg

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

well done Amanda! I wonder if those sleeves were stuffed for photographing then? I can't see anything inherant to the dress that would allow them to stay open like that, unless there was some sort of interfacing or lining that has lost it's sizing.

I noticed the advert is lacking the waist panel (or belt?) shown on the dress above. Any signs it was added?

5. Charlavb1

The pic with the tag shows the inside of the sleeve. If pressed the silk inside would hold the other silk out that far. That pic is amazing! I must do a google search of it.

6. Charlavb1

The belt is one piece with the bodice. No way it was added later.... maybe the fabric in the pic just alines better? I'll post another pic later.

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Ah yes I think it is possibly present in the advert, only the band there just has one bud which happens to look connected to the stem above. :)

Charlavb1 likes this.
  8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a gorgeous dress. And how nice to see it in that vintage photo!

It appears that the lining is organza, not chiffon.

Charlavb1 likes this.
  9. Charlavb1

Wonderful!!! Is it ok to steam then? Glad to hear it!!

10. Charlavb1

I found this picture from a Life magazine that appears to show the same dress. "Jean Patchett photographed by Nina Leen in Galanos, 1959" tumblr_oibdclYcb71udjzd9o1_1280.png

11. Charlavb1

OK, I googled "Galanos rose dress" and found the same color pic as above and found flickr reference saying "Jan Rylander, April Harper's Bazaar 1959". SO there are two magazines I need to find to keep with it for sure. s-l1600 (1).jpg