1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with shirt patterns

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some help with whether any of these shirt patterns have names and if not, any pointers on how to describe them effectively. I am running out of ideas besides generic adjectives like geometric, abstract, and psychedelic.

IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_2026.JPG IMG_2033.JPG IMG_2049.JPG

Thanks for the help.

Victoria

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, the second from right looks very fantasy-ish at first, but I think at least for the female figures it takes inspiration from Art Nouveau and Alphonse Mucha.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. Vintagiality

Thanks Midge. I had never heard of Alphonse Mucha but I looked him up and the print is definitely reminiscent of his female figures.

Victoria

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, I agree with Mucha - it's a real mix-up a little Art Nouveau and a bit Peter Max.

The red one - makes me think of a windy day.

I can't think of much else besides what you stated...polka dots for the pussycat bow blouse.

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Maybe Op Art for the first one. It isn't quite, but near enough.

Definitely Art Nouveau for the 5th. I don't see Art Deco.

I love the red one, but I can't think of a good description. It's meadow plants, but I don't suppose anyone searches for that. I can see dandelion and bindweed. One looks like cow parsley, but isn't quite - something similar. It's very trippy!

For the last one, contrast collar and cuffs is worth mentioning. Other than that, it's a floral stripe, can't see much else in that pattern.

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Great shirts. I see Op Art in the first one and for some reason I keep seeing ears of corn! The second one looks MCM, Mid Century Modern in the print (not the shirt itself), much like a lot of the Post WWII and early 1950s fabrics. And definitely Mucha on the second to last shirt.

8. Vintagiality

Thank you all! Very helpful.

9. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Just to throw in a few more keywords/phrases -- the print on the third shirt reminds me of Dominos (the game pieces), and the print on the fourth reminds me of a wild gardenscape.