1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi top sneakers, 40's???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by b*a*vintagequeen, Apr 17, 2004.

1. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

Hi top sneakers, 40\'s???

At first I was thinking 50's when I saw these sneakers, but the name on the box was Peters Big Timer. So now I am thinking 40's for a couple reasons.

Peters was the brand of all my womens shoes from the 40's.

The tag reads For all sports and playtime activities. Softball, Basketball, <i><b>badminton</i></b>,fishing, gardening, tennis.

The advertising paper inside for the personal pocket stamp shows a family and the womens hair has the rolled front and sides that looks 40's to me.

So what to YOU think??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. My gut tells me that they might be cuspers (40's-50's). Companies didn't update their packaging quite so often then and this style was popular post WWII and even into the 60's.

--Kari

3. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Kari is right, these styles of runners were around forever. I think 1948 is when the Converse brand came out that looked like this, if memory serves me correctly, and they were certainly available well into the 60s - like the late 60s. In fact, I am not sure if they ever really stopped making them. They were certainly available in the early 80s, as I remember there was a fad for New Wavers to wear them.

5. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

oh yes.. they still make them.
    And I don't think they're really changed <i>at all</i>

kristine