1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you price your vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lfang2, Jan 12, 2017.

1. lfang2

lfang2 Registered Guest

Am just curious and want to see how everyone price their?

Myself; Since I spend hours into taking photography, modeling, styling, and editing images. I price them from lowest $30 to $200.

I seen other online shop price below the $3o mark am wondering if it's worth cutting all the extra work and only posting products.

Feel free to chime in. :) Am curious to how everyone do things.

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

this question has been asked a myriad of times over the years, in a variety of ways. You may want to run a few searches (search box in upper right hand corner of the page) to find more responses, this is one I ran across that you may find helpful:

http://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/threads/question-for-vintage-dealers.52914/#post-528024

I will say this, pricing absolutely depends on the item's condition, the quality, the scarcity, the alignment with current trends, the fabrication...so many variables.

in addition to the time it takes to photograph, style, and edit images, of course, is the time and expense for any steaming, cleaning and/or repairs that may need to be done, which can add greatly in the amount of time (and expertise) needed, which in turn, can (and should) be reflected in pricing considerations.

we enjoy being able to offer lower priced items, too, as often they'll be scooped up along with a larger purchase, or we have clients who pop in and purchase 3 or 4 $15 items, which makes them happy to find a "deal", and it makes us happy to have helped make them happy. :)

good luck with your vintage adventure!

3. Yes, in addition to Mary's comments, there's also the cost of your stock and business operating expenses to consider. Then to price you need to look at how you're selling them: different venues support different prices. Mostly pricing is a combination of what it costs you to offer the product, and what the market in your venue will bear.

Even with all of that said though, I think it's safe to say that many vintage traders are operating more from love than profit. If you add up all of the work and costs, there isn't much (or sometimes any) profit margin.

4. lfang2

lfang2 Registered Guest

Sorry for the delayed response. I agree the amount of time we invested in it isn't balance with the margin. I was more curious than anything about how other people price. At the moment I would stick with my set pricing. As I spend more than a few hours on each piece.

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President