1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to wash thick wool? Also what to do with itchy wool?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Spartcom5, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Spartcom5

Spartcom5 Registered Guest

Picked up a cardigan similar to this one. Very nice, mine is dark green and blue. Due to my troubles cleaning small wool scarves I feel like I need to take this one to the dry cleaners? I can imagine washing a thick wool cardigan would be difficult? Would this be a good idea? The cardigan I have is amazingly very form fitting for me and I fear hand washing will mess that up, even if it is very slightly...[​IMG]
    Finally, I am having trouble with a particular scarf of mine. It is from the 70s and is 100 cashmere. I had it dry cleaned awhile ago and after I got it back it was itchy as heck. I hand washed it but it is still itchy... would pressing with an iron help at all? What should I do?? Thanks for any info on these situations!!

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

If it were mine, I would wash the cardigan by hand with Eucalan, which does not need any rinsing, then wrap it up in a big towel to get most of the water out, lay it flat nicely to dry.

3. Spartcom5

Spartcom5 Registered Guest

Wow.... Eucalan seems too good to be true! Sounds awesome. I have some questions: How's the cleansing properties of it, say an item is old and musty will it make it like new? I just soak and dry...? How long of a soak? How much do I use? Can I use it with a wool/silk blend? Safe on metal buttons (I assume it is)?

Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like exactly what I need.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. I'm a fan of Eucalan, too. I've used it successfully on vintage cashmere sweaters, antique Kashmir shawls, heavy woolen hunting coats, etc.

5. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Another fan of Eucalan here. :USETHUMBUP:

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Regarding the itchy cashmere scarf, my understanding from several sources over the years is that hand washing, followed by use of a high quality hair conditioner, will help a lot. I've also seen recommendations for a white vinegar soak prior to the washing. I don't have personal experience with either approach but they both seem intuitively sensible.