1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need An Indoor Lighting Setup!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by elvenom, Dec 9, 2009.

1. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

My niece wont model for me. I iwsh getting models together were easier. But bless my Mannequin who is terrible at conversation but is reliable to show up on time for the shoot.

-Chris

2. elvenom

elvenom Registered Guest

Well, I do my own modeling so I am cheap labor. However, I am looking into getting another model soon. Its alot of work..and I would like to eat an extra few slices of cake at Christmas and not worry about busting out of these dresses. LOL

Oh, on a side note, does anyone know where I can find a manny like this one:

https://shop.marketpublique.com/item.php?id=3950 - I love the abstract hands.

3. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Some years ago, I was dissuaded by members here as well as regulars on eBay's VC&A board from using 'live' models.

The jist was that buyers didn't want to see someone else wearing the garment first or something like that.

Well, I took it to heart, and I was blessed to get a beautiful manne as a gift. As little as I sell, I don't have a clue if it's made a difference in my sales or hits, but Mz Thanfg & I are stuck with each other.

The good part is, if she looks a mess, I can brush her hair or change her wig. I can also call her names when she won't cooperate with me. I can't do that with a human - at least not if I want to keep her around.

Mz Thang doesn't get paid to model, either. She's lucky I let her hang out in the house. LOL!

As to lighting, it stinks. I live in an old house that doesn't get much light because we have huge trees all around. While that's great for the weather here in Las Vegas, it doesn't lend itself to good pics.

I like the pole lamp thang. I had one that I used til it fell apart. Guess I better go to some yard sales & thrifts again.

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I was happy with my two 3-light poles (sounds like a lot of us are using them!) and a couple of single higher-wattage lamps as fill and background lighting, and one sometimes as spotlight. But lately I cannot get stuff lit properly. I think now that I'm using a dress form and not my taller manni, I just can't get everything "just so" like I had it before. I've adjusted the dress form height, the light angles, etc. And my overhead fluorescent light is casting odd shadows. If I turn the overhead off, there's not enough light.... Grrrr...

Anyway, I'm going to research some of those studio lighting kits folks are selling on eBay and call a photographer I know to see if he has any old lights for sale. And I'm too frustrated buying all sorts of bulbs--"daylight" bulbs from different makers aren't all the same, regular are too yellow, soft white not bright enough...

Chris, your kit looks great, but I'm thinking I don't need as much wattage--I would like to get a 3-light kit, but would probably use just 2 most of the time. I'd like to have the 2nd one as fill, so if I get smaller-wattage bulbs, I'm thinking they will work?

Now, if only I can remember what I learned in photography class about lighting!

5. listitcafe

Using the umbrellas and shade cuts down on the light. I rather have too much then not enough.

I would love to have a new manniquin I hate mine. The clothes dont look right. After seeing the outfits on live models it looks worse to me....

-Chris

6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

So, the one kit I'm looking at is pretty low wattage, but I assume I can get brighter bulbs for it, and with the umbrellas, I can cut back the light if it's too much. Makes sense.....

btw, your shot if fabulous!

7. elvenom

elvenom Registered Guest

Chris (or anyone),
    What is the difference between floodlights and tungsten (daylight) bulbs?

Chris I noticed that Impact also has several other lighting kits and was curious why u chose floodlights.

8. listitcafe

The price sold me on the kit. I figured lets see what happens and buy better quality lights as I find out what I need. I think the daylight bulbs have a blue tinge to them....You notice it when you are shooting on a white BKRD. I can adjust my camera for what ever lighting I am doing. I went to the local camera store and asked about bulbs looking to buy some stronger ones. The last shoot I did was a clear plastic over white BKRD.... I needed the extra light for effect I wanted. When you shoot on a white BKRD its difficult if you want white ... Your camera tones the white down.

-Chris

9. elvenom

elvenom Registered Guest

Okay I see..I have a grey background so it should be okay - I hope. Thx :)

10. listitcafe

Grey is great.

-Chris

11. elvenom

elvenom Registered Guest

Miss Martys,

Do you use umbrellas and reflectors with the shop lights? I am thinking of grabbing some just until I can get the setup I need - which is about $250 and a new camera. If you have a pic or link to the kind of shop lights you use that would be great. Those pics are great!

I was talking to a photographer friend of mine and she suggested this setup:

http://www.alienbees.com/beginner.html

I found another that I think is comparable but cheaper for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CF0514K/

12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I use a fluorescent fixture similar to what Marty is describing. I replaced the 2 original bulbs with full spectrum daylight bulbs. The key is to mount it vertically - here's mine pushed into a corner of the room so a guest could sleep there that night. My backdrop is rolled up and propped behind it.

[​IMG]

DH cobbled the base and pole the fixture hooks into from miscellaneous stuff he had stashed in the garage. I've seen other versions with the fixtures hung from hooks set into the ceiling.

If you want to shoot at night, you need two, one for each side, set at different distances from the item. I have just one, so I shoot during the day with the light fixture on the right and a window on the left. I don't use the camera flash. Here's a sample photo of a black dress straight from the camera except for rotating and condensing for the web.

[​IMG]

13. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Chris - I hope they give you commission because I'm probably going to get one of these in January with my bonus check! They need to put you on staff :)

14. chanellabelle

chanellabelle Registered Guest

I've tried many different things to achieve good quality images with a clear background.
    At the moment I'm using a white cloth that's made from the material used to print outdoor advertising banners on.
    I positioned it in front of my window, so natural light comes in from behind and I use true light bulbs for extra lighting.
    In the summer I don't have to use the light bulbs, but they're highly effective during the winter.
    I also use Photoshop CS4 to get a clear background and sharpen the images and my camera is a Sony a300.
    Let's see if I can get some pictures up....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. elvenom

elvenom Registered Guest

Wow, chanellabelle,

Those are great pics! And I love that last dress.!! Is it in your shop? If so, do post a link. Thanks for your feedback. I dont get much natural sunlight anymore. Buying one of those lighting kits after the holidays.

16. chanellabelle

Thanks elvenom! Getting good pictures can be a lot of work.

Those are items from my shop, here's the link to the floral dress:

**Friends of the VFG are not allowed to post links. Please familiarize yourself with the rules posted above for use on these boards. Thank you**

17. chanellabelle

Oops! Sorry about that! I'll have to see if I can send you the link some other way, elvenom.

18. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

I thought this thread was very informative. I'm getting ready to order this lighting system that Chris recommended. Anyone have more suggestions?

chris

19. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

I bought (2) Lithonia Lighting 4 Ft. T8 Red Steel Shoplights from Home Depot. They're like most shoplights you see except these have a red finish. About $27. ea.

Since HD didn't have the daylight/sunshine fluorescent bulbs I wanted, I got those at Lowe's. Two packages of (2) GE 32-Watt Sunshine T8 Fluorescent 48" Bulbs 5000k (the temperature of the color). About $7/pair

In order to mount the fixtures vertically, I bought (2) NEW Rolling IV Stand Poles which adjust in height from 47" to 85" high. I was going to build a support of 2 x 4's but the IV poles were ready-made and much more convenient. (On eBay) $25 ea. including shipping.

I used the chains and S-hooks which came with the light fixtures to mount the lights to the crossbar at the top of the poles (where the IV bags would hang on each end) and looped the plug wire at the bottom of the pole, just above the base & casters to stabilize the bottoms of the fixtures..

They're lightweight, easily roll on the casters, and the bases are about 24" in diameter.

Seller, Highworld, on the CAB board on eBay came up with the original idea for this lighting system, including mentioning that he was eventually going to go from his 2 x 4 supports to the IV poles. I just bypassed that from the beginning.

I'm going to mount a white roller shade on the wall and use it as a background. I can extend it onto a tabletop to give a smooth transition for photographing smaller items.

Brenda

Oh, and when I need lots of extra light for sewing or scrapbooking, I just roll one of the units close to my table.

20. listitcafe

I wish I had a studio... I work out of my husbands karate studio when I need to.... Next move I will have a studio space....

Also I wish for a external flash for my camera

Just wishing outloud
    -Chris