1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'll stop selling clothes and start selling only electric curlers

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by ellenm, Apr 16, 2004.

1. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

I think I\'ll stop selling clothes and start selling only electric curlers

I have sold these sets before for good money -- $25 - $65. But this one is at $102.50--unbelievable! The newer plastic-y sets don't sell, but these old GE sets do great.

GE Electric Curlers

2. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Unbelievable. I keep thinking this hot item is going to cool ;) but the price on these has really remained steady, hasn't it?

Lizzie

3. Over $100 buckaroos...you go girl!

I have had good success with the Lady Schick Beautifying Mist set also.

Keep your eyes open shoppers!!

4. I have tried a few set but never had much luck. I think the key thing to look for is "mist". Correct me if I am wrong.

Marie

5. I have the same question. What are the desirable characteristics?

Steph

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

do people find they just are more reliable than the more modern ones or do they really look better for retro hairstyles?

7. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

I wish I knew exactly what the attraction is. The last buyer of one of these sets told me that she had used one for years and it had finally stopped working so she needed another. I think they are made very well and hold the heat in the curlers very well.

8. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

I think it's more reliable tried and true than for particular styling.
    Back in the day that I used hot rollers I know I was sick when mine pooped out:(
    Last time we talked about hot rollers I picked a couple up but didn't list them.
    Have to go dig in that pile of stuff behind me and see which kind I got.
    Regardless they are going up:)
    Thanks for the reminder
    Karen

I remember something about the "mist" too
    Now if I could just remember what I remember:D

9. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

Not electric, but Spoolies go well too.

Spoolies

10. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

The GEs are a cult thing. The women who have used them for years are very loyal and believe this is the best hot roller set ever made. GE no longer makes them, so their only alternative to replace a non-working set is the secondary market. I've had one go over $100 but usually they sell in the $60 to $80 range. Always with multiple bids. Always with a $9.99 no reserve start. Wish all things were like that!

11. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Thank you, cosmic. I still wonder though how one of these sets can possibly work better than a brand new set by some other maker. I guess "cult" is the only word for it.

12. Andrea

Andrea Guest

Thanks for the tip! I find these all the time, but never buy. hugs~

13. sues*stuff

sues*stuff VFG Member

I sold some Beautifying Mist Curlers about a year ago for $60-$70. Someone on VCA had recommended looking for them.

After they sold I emailed the buyer and asked "so what's the big deal with these?" She said she just liked them. However, I had looked at her bidding history and she had bought 3 or 4 of them, so I don't quite think she was telling the truth.

Sue

14. sues*stuff

sues*stuff VFG Member

I sold some Beautifying Mist Curlers about a year ago for $60-$70. Someone on VCA had recommended looking for them.

After they sold I emailed the buyer and asked "so what's the big deal with these?" She said she just liked them. However, I had looked at her bidding history and she had bought 3 or 4 of them, so I don't quite think she was telling the truth.

Sue

15. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

Sue, these ladies tend to stockpile them. Since they're old and prone to break without warning, they want to have a backup or two ready!