1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying heavy knit skater open back dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by thirfterintexas, Mar 5, 2017.

1. thirfterintexas

thirfterintexas Registered Guest

View attachment 70776 View attachment 70775 I was needing help identifying this dress. I spent hours searching and tried google image, but haven't had any luck. It is an extremely heavy and thick material. The back has an open cut out or laser cut out. The tags have been cut out so there is not even a tag telling me for sure what kind of material it is. It looks like it was a white tag from the tiny part of it left. It looks to be from the 70's or 80's to me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Hi Thrifterintexas and welcome to the forums. Laser cut is a fairly recent development in fashion manufacturing. I don't recognise the design but I suspect it's no older than early 2000s.

Can you tell us more about it? Eg, is the fabric wool or polyester, are there any openings (eg zippers), are there any seam allowances or is all overlocked? If you're not sure, if you post clear close ups we can help. Thank you.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. thirfterintexas

I don't see any zippers or buttons. I think the cut out feature is called laser, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen fabric this thick in recent years so I thought it was vintage. The material doesn't have a rough feel so I don't know if it would be polyester or wool. The tag that was cut out looks like it was a black and white tag. The cut out in the back of the dress is the same hem or non-hem as the end of the length of the dress. I can't find any tag about the material either.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I only recall that cut out back waist design from the last 5-10 years. It's still being used now.

7. thirfterintexas

Thanks you. I think it must be a modern piece then. Thanks for your replies.

8. thirfterintexas

I found it and you ladies are right. Definitely not vintage. Thank you.