1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a Happy Capper!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Ookoo, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I\'m a Happy Capper!

A Happy Capper collector, that is.

I adore hats, and I rarely venture into sunlight without one.

Several of my hats are labelled "Happy Cappers by The Field Company - Los Angeles Calif"

They're very sturdy, and are usually a generous size so they fit my 22 1/4" head easily.

[​IMG]
    This is the first one I found. It has real tapa cloth for the band, and thick bands of raffia all around. It's been my favorite for several years.

[​IMG]
    This one is nice too, with a fabric band.

[​IMG]
    The brim is smaller, the crown is shorter, and it has a ribbon band.

[​IMG]
    All raffia, no band at all.

[​IMG]
    Variation on a theme.

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure if this should be puffed up like a bubble hat, or flattened like a newsboy's cap.

[​IMG]
    Marabou feathers on a stretchy cap

[​IMG]
    My newest Happy Capper, with a huge ruffled brim and extravagant crown.

[​IMG]
    The label is the same in all of them. I haven't been able to find anything about the company that made them. Google Archives has a reference to a 1962 ad, but that's it.

Anyone familiar with this lable?

2. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

Wow! What a wonderful collection! I have not seen the "Happy Cappers" label before. I really love the name. We have a couple of members who are awesome at digging up info about makers. Hopefully they will come along soon! Thanks for sharing the pics!

3. missproper

missproper Alumni

Those straw hats are so cute!!

4. atticville

atticville Alumni

You have them in possession? I want Them ALL. Fabulous !!!

5. avamac

avamac Alumni

Those are just fab....your newest looks like something out of a Fellini movie.

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

From a 1958 ad for <u>plain straw</u> Happy Cappers:
    "Back again--our thatched roofs! Go native in airy coconut straw with a sun-sized brim and the maddest, gladdest scarf outside of Jamaica! To wear everywhere the sun shines--from beach to boulevard."

From another 1958 ad for <u>plain straw</u> "Happy Cappers for Fun and Sun":
    "The original glad hats, sunny little snatches of straw hat fashion, sashed in vibrant vacation tones scarves."

The second hat seen in the ad above is closer in style to the one in your fifth photo, but without any raffia trim and the description for it says:
    "Coolie, the snappy oriental shape, $2.98"

From a 1974 ad for Happy Cappers:
    "Smart Shop presents hats by Happy Cappers. Shade your eyes with glamor in many styles and colors to choose from, some in cotton with wide floppy brims, others in brightly colored straws. Made in Equador."

A 1959 ad for a <u>plain</u> gaucho-style Happy Capper hat noted that it was a "Coconut Straw Hat."

Finally, a 1965 CA newspaper ad stated:
    "Maybe the father of your children is king of the backyard barbecue set. Or maybe he just likes relaxing on the patio, drinking a long, cool one. Well, whatever, he can get in the mood quicker in an authentic Hawaiian shirt from Kino's Polynesian shop. They also carry Happy Cappers--the male equivalent to the marvelous hat worn so long by the distaff side of the family."

The last ad I saw for Happy Cappers was from 1976.

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

What fab hats and what a fab collection!

The label is just wonderful, too... I adore 50s jewelry with a drama masks motif, and there the masks are (with the tragedy one looking as if he knows he's not the "face of things" here, and feeling sad because of it...)

Is the Happy Cap in your avatar the one in your second pic??

8. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Thank you Lynne for for finding all those references! The fabric band in the second hat (the one in my avatar) feels like a scarf material, so perhaps that's the one described in the 1958 ads. I had guessed they were from the 1960's, mainly because 1950's hats tend to be too small for me.

I appreciate all your comments, it was fun sharing this part of my hat collection with you!

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Ookoo you are such a cutie!! your hat collection is a HOOT!

never heard of Happy Cappers before, how terrific to see a group like you've accumulated.

and that is one FABULOUS shot of you at Sam's!! LOVE LOVE your dress, your (bakelite??) bangles, your tiki necklaces, tiki glass, huge sunglasses, and of course your hat!! whatta doll!! what fun!!!

10. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Great hats, wonderful info & a fab picture!

11. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

It is a fun post. And I had assumed the "Happy Capper" was a typo before I opened it. Now I will be on the lookout for these hats Ookoo.

12. What a cutie you are!

Thank-you so much for sharing your wonderful and fun collection of hats.

I had never heard of Happy Capper before this.

I am lovin' your latest find, that black hat is really 2die4.

13. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I love that description! I'm going to call it my "Fellini hat" from now on!

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Super collection! Thank you for wearing and for sharing!!!

15. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I've had a couple of these hats over the last few years -- and come to think of it (seeing you in front of Sam's cinches it!) I know I've seen you wandering around these parts, I'm sure.

Great collection!

16. Janfieldsr

Janfieldsr Registered Guest

MY husband was President of The Field Company in Los Angeles, CA. His father, Ted Field, started the company in 1947. It has a fascinating history and I have quite a bit of memorabilia if you are interested in looking at any of it.

Jan Field

17. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Hi Jan, i'd love to hear about the history, and see your memorabilia! I'm so glad you found this forum.

Ookoo

18. Nice to see you here Jan - anything you can tell us about the business would be great, we could add it to the Label Resource.

Ookoo - your collection is wonderful! Good for you wearing a hat in your sunny climate. There would be a lot less wrinkles and skin cancer if more followed your example.

19. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

We would love to see more history on the Field Co., Jan. We are all looking forward to seeing some of their memorabilia.

I bet you have added a few to your collection since that initial post, Ookoo!

20. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Fabulous hats. Makes me want to go to the beach. Looking forward to more on this thread.