1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting documentary about the history of department stores

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Midge, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This was on 3Sat yesterday and can be viewed online also, though unfortunately only in German, though the recreated scenes are in French (it's an Arte production but I guess I missed seeing it there):
    http://www.3sat.de/mediathek/?mode=play&obj=63092
    Might still interest someone! I found it a good watch - the history of department stores, mainly Au Bon Marché in Paris, the first such store, but also the influence this had on society, and women especially.

foofoogal likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I wish I understood German.... still nice to look at.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I know... I checked Arte, but it's not available there anymore, then at least there would have been a French version too. 3Sat is a cooperation channel between German, Austrian and Swiss national TV channels - they show a lot of documentaries etc. after they have been shown on the original channels.

4. I have a German friend, maybe she will watch it with me and translate . It looks fascinating. thanks for sharing

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I'll be checking this out--I can never hear the audio with online videos anyway, so will just prepare for a visual feast. Thanks for sharing, Karin!