1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jacque Cartier Suit Tailleur?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by foofoogal, Mar 3, 2017.

1. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I found this 1960s wiggle suit with this label.

I am thinking this was a shop in Canada. Only from a Pin on Pinterest.

Does anyone recognize the label or know of the shop?

A true Tailor shop or just a play on words for off the rack?

Thanks for any help.

Sandy

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I've lived in Quebec all my life and I can't say that I have run across this particular label before. So I'm not sure it's from here. It looks early 60s and it only has the French term tailleur which is a bit unusual at that time. I wonder if if might be from France.

3. foofoogal

There is a square located in Old Montreal in Montreal Quebec, Canada, and an entrance to the Old Port of Montreal.
    It is called Place Jacque Cartier.

I wonder if possibly a shop on this square?

Thank you Mary Jane.

4. foofoogal

5. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

Jacques Cartier was an explorer who discovered Canada essentially, claiming it as a French territory in the 1500s. I think Mary Jane is right and that it is a French label. I think the reason why you are getting so many results related to Canada is that the names are so similar however Jacque on the label is spelt without an s at the end.

6. I doubt that it is French, because of the missing "s" (the French would never make that mistake) but a location on the "Place Jacque Cartier" seems the most likely. Any real Jacques is not going to misspell the name.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It's weird that it was spelled only "Jacque" instead of Jacques which is the correct French spelling of the name. And it's definitely spelled like that in the name Jacques Cartier (the explorer) and the square in Montreal named after him. I don't remember that shop from my trips to Banff - there's lots of shops geared towards tourists there though, and I guess this shop name is also due to the explorer. I don't think the label on the suit has anything to do with anything related to Jacques Cartier - just a coincidence.

8. poppysvintageclothing

Even Place Jacques Cartier which is a square in Old Montreal with a statue in his honor is spelt with the "s". That street is mainly lined with restaurants and bars. I really doubt this "tailleur" was ever there. Old Montreal was quite a deadsville place back in the 60s. I always wondered why it was not being gentrified even back then as a young girl.

Expo here in Montreal was back in 1967.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I have not yet found any background information on Jacque Cartier, but I found two ads for Cartier items. The ads are dated 1949 and 1964. Note in the second ad the reference to "silk tailleur" in the description to the right of the Jacque Cartier item. I found many references to silk tailleur or, as one article noted, someone was wearing a 'blue tailleur' outfit. Clearly tailleur was not 'tailor' as I originally thought.

NOTE: These clips are for educational purposes only and should not be used in any other context, such as to sell an item. Thank you.

IMG_6122.jpg

IMG_6127.JPG

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    foofoogal likes this.
  10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

:duh2: I'm an idiot... the French word "tailleur" can not only mean a tailor, but also a suit! I didn't even think of mentioning that because it's obvious to me - and I am so used to switching between languages. Even in German they would sometimes call it tailleur instead of the German word for suit. Sounds more posh :).

foofoogal likes this.
  11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for the clarification, Karin. I wasn't sure what it meant if it didn't mean tailor.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    foofoogal and Midge like this.
  12. poppysvintageclothing

So it would appear that this designer Jacque Cartier may well have been from France as that ad shows suits from Christian Dior as well. He was obviously the lower priced go to choice.

13. foofoogal

How fascinating. I love it.
    This person had to be talented to be in a Paris Original Fashion show along with Christian Dior.
    Pfeifers was bought out by Dillards in 1963 and this was one of the top 4 Exclusive Department stores in Arkansas.
    I may not sell this now in fact.
    Thanks so much for that ad Lynne.
    Surely more is known about this person or label Jacque Cartier.
    I did not find this suit in Arkansas but in Texas.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  14. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

-- I will try to search a bit more for information, but if it is a French company, my resources are more limited.
    -- Re your having purchased the suit in Texas, note that the second ad is from a Dallas store

15. I looked up "tailleur" and got "a woman's tailor-made suit." so that tallies with Karin's info.

Good sleuthing, Lynne.