Labels on Inherited Clothing

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Labels for the Label Resource - Add here' started by Courtney Buckley, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Courtney Buckley

Courtney Buckley Registered Guest

IMG_5396.JPG IMG_5393.JPG IMG_5392.JPG IMG_5388.JPG IMG_5412.JPG IMG_5397.JPG Hello All,

I have inherited a ton of items from my grandmother. Going through them has been quite the adventure. I have found some beautiful vintage pieces, some beautiful modern pieces and some pieces that I just don't know. Researching labels has come in handy, but there are a few I do not know anything about and they are not listed in the label resources. Can anyone recommend a good label resource dictionary and do you happen to recognize anyone of these labels? If so, why are they not in the label resources? Does it have anything to do with them not being popular names? Not true vintage? Or even custom pieces possibly?

And how do I get my photos to show upright and not turned sideways when I post a thread?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Trade Member

Laurence Kazaar is a familiar label, the other two are less well known. The label resource relies on public submissions, so if something is missing it is because we have not had a label or bio submitted for it. I'd suggest all the above garments were 1980s, the black top may be into the 1990s with the straight hem and plainer design.
    Most established names were trademarked, so looking this up will give a date of first use and last year if it is not longer in use. You can also tell from this page who owned the trademark, in what countries what it in force, and on what type of garments and other objects.

Courtney Buckley likes this.
  3. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

Melanie's right - also there are thousands of labels, many of which were short lived or had small distribution. The VFG label resource is a work in progress but is the best in the world.

Your garments are late '80s to early '90s, with the Indian made garments at the latter end of the time period (ie early '90s).

Re: your photos. You can get free editing software online like Gimp if you don't have photoshop. Turning images the right way up is an easy function.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. Courtney Buckley

Thank you !!!

5. Courtney Buckley

Thank you! I have a photo editing software, Adobe Photoshop. The photos appear right side up until I upload them. When I up load them they appear turned to their left. I thought maybe I was uploading them incorrectly.

6. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

It seems to be an annoying function of some camera phones that it show you images up a certain way, and then when you load them you find they're not that way at all. I just edit them when that happens, as loading images on their side makes them hard to see.

Courtney Buckley likes this.