1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesley Sandra

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Bels09, May 24, 2011.

1. Bels09

Bels09 Registered Guest

I recently bought a Lesley Sandra (or is it Sandra Lesley) vintage dress - 1970's, apparently a wedding dress in cream lace. Its pretty whacky - think Joan Collins circa 1970 and you'll get the measure. If I were Florence Welch (which I'm not), I would look amazing. It is strangely beautiful and I'd love to know if anyone out there can give me any details about this dress maker? Many thanks

2. Bels, can you post a photo of the label?

Nicole

3. sartasue

sartasue Registered Guest

Hi ,i worked for Lesley Sandra in the 1970's she had a workshop and showroom in the Ecclesfield Road area of Sheffield.She produced high end silk jersey and chiffon day and evening wear for the couture market.Lesley also had a showroom on New Bond street in London and we travelled down twice a year to dress the models to show off her new spring and autumn collections.Her clothes were stocked by Selfridges and Harvey Nicols and many designer boutiques across the country.
    I remember the dress you have it had a silk lace bodice and would have looked at home on the set of Dynasty as would a lot of the clothes she produced but then it was the 70's ,i think she now designs for Urban Threads in Sheffield.

EugenieK and Mooshylala like this.
  4. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

wonderful information. thanks so much for posting, sue!

5. EugenieK

EugenieK Registered Guest

Hi - did you work in the cutting room with a lady called Cecelia? I worked at the workshop also but for a very short time but remember the exquisite hand beading that was sewn onto each dress.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. sartasue

Hi Eugeniek,I've only just seen your message.No i didn't work in the cutting room just in the workshop making the dresses.I don't remember Cecelia but do remember Jo the designer who worked in the cutting room and Carol also.Maybe we were there at different times i think i probably left in 75/76 as i went travelling.

7. EugenieK

8. EugenieK

...maybe it was Jo and Carol in the cutting room..I thought I remembered someone called Celia..I could be wrong Are you still in Sheffield? I was in he sewing room..I remember using the overlocking machine for the first time and nearly ruining a dress!! I might have joined after you left..I can’t quite remember the dates I was there. I now live near Harrogate x

9. sartasue

10. sartasue

No I have lived near Bath for the last 40 years.Did Celia work in the office at one point.