1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Liberty & Co Historic Costume Studio gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by VintageMelinda, Mar 3, 2011.

1. VintageMelinda

VintageMelinda Registered Guest

Here's a pic of the Liberty gown I was married in...c. 1912 or 1913.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

:wow22:Your wedding gown is absolutely stunning! So very elegant!

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

:fainting:

With a gown like that, all other details of the wedding day would sort of fade into the background! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous...

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Gorgeous!

Thank you so much for showing this to us.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Late to this thread Melinda, but thank you for sharing and for the information that surfaced because of your photos. Your wedding dress is sublime. Is that silk? Did you have to be very careful wearing it? Now I want to see more photos! The back of the dress - the flowers you held with it, etc.? Did the groom wear anything special? Anyway, just lovely and we are glad to have you here.

7. VintageMelinda

reply to Amanda

Hi Amanda! My wedding dress is completely silk- charmeuse, lace, embroidery, lining, everything. I really loved it. Wearing it was pretty hard on it, though. I need to have it restored.

I guess you could say the groom wore something special- he's a Marine, and he wore the very special (and formal) mess dress uniform (not the more familiar dress blues). I'm attaching a little pic of us. :)

The vintage seller I bought my dress from still has pics of it in her museum section. May I post the link? I don't know if she's a VFG member, so I don't want to offend anyone. Let me know if it's okay, and I'll post the direct link, so those who want to see close-up pics can see it.

Melinda

8. VintageMelinda

wedding pic (trying again)

Pic was too big, so trying again. :)

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

wow. and wowowow. thank you for sharing! how lovely!!!!!!

11. Gorgeous pics Melinda - thank you for sharing. What a wonderful thing to collect! I love Liberty too, although there's very little of it surviving here in Australia outside of museum collections.

Nicole

12. VintageMelinda

Good morning, all! I heard back from Liberty's archivist, Anna Buruma, about my gown. I want to share it with you. Here's her response:

Dear Melinda

That is a lovely gown. I haven’t seen one like it before, but I have seen the same green label on a dress at FIT in New York . There are also a number of labels with the same font in silver. I was able to date a cloak with that silver label to 1895. I think it definitely looks like a dress that should be shown to interested museums.

Many thanks for sending me the images.

Best wishes
    Anna

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Melinda,

Great if that winds up in a museum. 1..so you can get paid for it...2...so others can see it and enjoy!

Of course, it would be very hard to part with.

B

:dogs:

14. poppysvintageclothing

Glad to hear that she got back to you too, I was sure she would be excited about seeing your piece.

Thank you again for sharing your two lovely dresses with us!

15. lizzietree

lizzietree Registered Guest

FYI

Anyone who is in the UK the V and A is doing a special evening talk thing about Liberty on the 4th July. Here are the details :
    Join ‘Cult of Beauty’ exhibition curator Stephen Calloway, and Liberty archivist Anna Baruma as they pay tribute to Liberty, the innovative and historic London department store at the forefront of fashion and decorative art since 1875. Liberty’s artistic heritage is unparalleled: pre-Raphaelite painters were inspired by its far-Eastern ornaments and fabrics, and the store played a vital role in developing both the Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau movements by commissioning bold new designs. In this talk, Members will learn more about Liberty and its role in art history, as well as viewing up-close some priceless items from the Liberty and V&A archives.

It is members only...but just thought people may be interested.

I am sorting out my membership for the V and A on Saturday, so very excited as i will be going!

16. poppysvintageclothing

Lizzie, that's wonderful news...sounds like it will be a delightful experience...and maybe you can meet up with some of our UK members too!