1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking For: Men's Vest or Cardigan From Raisin in The Sun (1961 film)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by JakeY215, Oct 14, 2015.

1. JakeY215

JakeY215 Registered Guest

Has anyone come across the low cut/scoop vest (may actually be a cardigan) that the character George wears in this film? You could call it double breasted, but that doesn't quite account for it's unique cut. Seems like a short lived trend in men's fashion that maybe stuck around longer for women. The slouch in the fabric makes it look like the vest is only fastened lower by the waist rather than higher over the abdomen. Here is a photo of what I am talking about: image.png

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree this looks like a knitted garment to me, but I do think it's inspired by the formal tuxedo vests or waistcoats which used to fasten like this and sit around that point in the early 20thC (1900-1910's) I don't know the film but is his character supposed to be more formal or conservative perhaps?
    I have similar style knitted garments from the 80's but those have batwings usually - I would have thought this gentleman's was sleeveless or with fitted sleeves.

A knitter could adapt an 80's pattern to use only the front portion and the normal back/neck of a vest or fitted cardigan to achieve this style.

3. Trish

Trish Registered Guest

DSCN5096.JPG DSCN5099.JPG

Here's what you are looking for, I believe. Unfortunately I sold this vest already.