1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad As A March Hare~ VFG Fashion Parade for the week of March 7th

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG Fashion Parades' started by carla rey, Mar 6, 2016.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

We're all as Mad as a March Hare to kick off the month! With dreams of Alice in Wonderland, past, present and future, this magical, timeless Lewis Carroll story feels fresh with each new twist of the rendition. VFG members invite you down the rabbit hole for this week's Parade.

Please "pour out" novelty print clothing, such as checkerboard, hearts, teacups, rabbits, playing cards, psychedelic graphics, caterpillars, butterflies, and the smiling Cheshire Cat. Don't forget to include Mad Hatter headgear, sweet Alice-inspired pinafores, Queen of Hearts lace, timepieces, jabots, frock coats, long scarves, striped pants, smoking paraphernalia, and other imaginative tie-ins to the theme.

.jpg

2. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope it's okay to add this one here, though it's not strictly fashion:
    il_570xN.934965074_gyh8.jpg
    1960s clown or animal head pillows pattern - Simplicity 3700

5. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

8. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

[​IMG]
    Psychedelic Checkerboard print dress

[​IMG]
    Lace Jabot cotton blouse

[​IMG]
    Red Slippers for the Queen of Hearts

Just a late share to add: From my personal collection, these cutie kitties could have joined the tea party dressed as they are -- they have been decopaged onto black dangle earrings.
    WP_20160312_008.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

11. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

12. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

13. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

[​IMG]
    "If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there" -- Lewis Carroll's quotes and more from this curiouser and curiouser parade have started down the FB road . . .

14. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Thank you, Laurie!! :) :) :)

15. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

For Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' 1985 take on the Alice In Wonderland theme, watch this trippy music video

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  16. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I loved that video back in the 80s! Its so great seeing it again.

17. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

18. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm late I'm late I'm late!

I just photographed this Alice-y dress and had to share it here:
    il_570xN.984983193_kinj.jpg

19. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

20. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

This article appeared in the Wall St. Journal a couple weeks after our Alice parade, but I thought it may be of interest for fans: a tea named " Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea" offered at the Sanderson hotel, London, in honor of the 150th Anniversary of Alice in Wonderland. The article is London's Top Tea Parties - A Tour of London's Best Afternoon Teas.
    madhatterstea_sanderson_lowres4_4a1366f2-ca92-4621-832a-ee0edbbc3667.jpg

BN-NC780_LONDON_M_20160316135332 (2).jpg

BN-NC831_LONDON_M_20160316150416.jpg

The Storybook Tea | Sanderson
    Leave it to the Sanderson, one of Philippe Starck’s surrealist fantasy hotels, to offer the Mad Hatter Afternoon Tea. As a homage to Lewis Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland,” the event is just as colorful and quirky as it sounds. At the beginning of the meal, our waiter brought over a tray of tiny glass vials from which we were asked to take a sniff and select our blend of leaves (“Alice” is a black tea blend with hints of black currant and bergamot, and the “Mad Hatter” is green with passion fruit, guava and mango). Most options were fruity and very fragrant, which might not go over too well with tea snobs, but the food is a certain crowd-pleaser. Among the savory dishes were a warm, gooey mini croque monsieur, and a smoked salmon, quail egg and caviar Scotch egg that was so deliciously crispy we ordered seconds. Just as fanciful, desserts included coffee-flavored macaroons decorated like the White Rabbit’s pocket watch and magic mushrooms (made of non-hallucinogenic marshmallows). All in all, it was one fun tea party, best suited for families, or adults who—like my mother, who tagged along with me—are more versed in Alice than the nuances of Earl Grey (About $68 per person, 50 Berners St.; sandersonlondon.com).