1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made in italy & vero cuoio

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Giuseppe, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Registered Guest

Hello everybody!
    I have been a longtime lurker of this forum and found it so useful to date some of the stuff I come across everyday for work. My name is Giuseppe and I work in a vintage shop in Italy.
    I was doing some research about shoes and was wondering about the tags "made in italy" and "vero cuoio". Do you know for sure when were they used first? I' ve found that " made in italy" starts in the 1980s but nothing about vero cuoio except for the fact that there was a law which passed in 1966 about certification of leather. Can you help me?
    Thank you!

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

From the shoes I have handled 'Vero Cuoio' shows up in about 1978. I don't know what legislation is associated with that, but from my observations, that is about the time it begins. Made in Italy however, shows up earlier, shoes are stamped Made in Italy from the 1950s (as soon as Italian shoe imports begin really.)

3. Giuseppe

Thank you Jonathan, I had my facts wrong then!

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

'Real Leather' and translated variations of, tend to appear around the time man made materials were not just imitating but regularly replacing real leather in mainstream footwear. Late 1960's I'd say. Around the same time you start to see 'man made materials' appear as well.

I have some early to mid 1950's Ferragamo's that say 'hand made in italy' on the arch of the sole. I have a pair from the 1940's but the soles are too worn to see if the stamp was there.
    I've just ordered the SF book which I think specificied inscriptions from what I can recall from reading it previously.

5. Giuseppe

Thank you Pinkcoke!

Pinkcoke likes this.