1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

As far as the pants thing - they sell plastic forms that are just legs. Maybe that's an alternative? Maybe looks a little strange to be legs with no torso but would do the job. I know that the dress forms that have a "hint" of a leg were mentioned and they work for when you are selling a top or jacket and the pants are just a prop, but when you are selling jeans, or some special pants I am wondering if it would be better to get a leg form?

2. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

aw shucks, thank you marty and sarah :embaressed:

anne, i don't know why that is, but i've noticed the same thing! they make forms that are size 6 and under, and plus size, and nothing in between. weird.

i wish i had a form with an off-center hole so i could shoot pants and jumpsuits. i've been looking for one in a size 2 (providing i can find space to stash her) that has that, and also has nice lines. so far i haven't been able to find one like that.

3. I posted a source on an earlier thread about forms. They have the off center ones without a head and arms. At a good price.
    I'll see if I can pull it up again.
    All their mannikins and forms were very well priced.

4. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Anne - the only downside to my dressform is that pants/shorts don't work on it. Other than that, it is SOOOO easy to work with plus I now have two covers for it which increases its versatility.

5. nostalgic*collections

Joan - or they make the ones with huge bazookas that aren't realistic. Especially a problem with mannequins.

6. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

vicki, ha! i've seen a few of those. my manni and my french form are both on the less-than-optimum endowed side, so often i had/have to use a bra on them for some kind of shape.

7. nostalgic*collections

Yeah.... I was looking for one less endowed to fit it some of the tinier clothing. Ummm, I hadn't thought of accentuating her with a bra...I'll have to go buy one! Great idea! LOL.

8. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I put my manni in a bra & stuff it when I need to, but it still doesn't give me the look I want--cuz unless I fiddle around with putting a sweater around her waist and somehow padding her butt, I still have a too-tiny manni in a too-large dress that I can't pin to fit properly!

For now maybe I'll get a form that is the right size and if she can't take pants, I'll live with that. And maybe get a pants form later on.

My old manni, Claire, was about a perfect size 8 to 10, but she was a vintage dept-store gal, and was so heavy and so hard to wrestle with (me, with my 5'1" body trying to beat a 5"11" heavy manni into submission so I could dress her got to be too much--and her arms were both bent, so wrassling them into coat sleeves and such was a nightmare) I had to part with her. At least the 2 newer ones are lighter, but I'm tired of fighting with them too.

9. MyVintageCocktail

Oh, my, a size 10/12 dress form!

Well, wouldn't you know it? Apparently there IS a size 10/12 dress form out there--the only model from the only seller that I've seen.....

Here on eBay:

Bust: 37
    Waist: 27
    Hip: 38

Now that's a wee too large for what I want right now, but down the road a bit, I'd love one with those dimensions--my old manni Claire was about that size and she looked great in larger sizes!

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Anne -

I don't think this dress form is a modern size 10-12 with those measurements. More like a modern 8. I realize there is no standardization anymore but a size "4" is 34", 26", 37".

Linn

11. MyVintageCocktail

Linn, I use eBay's sizing guide for approximating sizing, and those measurements are pretty close to their size 10.

It really depends on one's proportions. I took a size 10 when my bust size was about 37". A 10, according to the guide I use, is 36 - 37" bust, 28 - 29" waist, 38 1/2 - 39" hip. So it is definitely proportioned more for the vintage figure, with more the hourglass shape than the pear shape--which is what I would want in displaying vintage dresses.

12. boncly

boncly VFG Member

My mannequin has a name, too -- T.C. (Tall Chick)

Unfortunately so do the Silent Heads -- Annie, G.G. (Gooney Girl), Heady, and Lana.

Uh ... actually a couple of the dress forms, too -- Annie Rexia and Beula Emia

There might be something *wrong* with me!

Diana

13. boncly

boncly VFG Member

Great idea!

My MIL made me a dress form that is soft, tiny, and "conservation" friendly for my tiny Victorian dresses. Cages usually take care of the lack of a hiney, but I could never quite stuff the bosom and keep it in place. I'm going to try that. As long as it doesn't show through, it just might work!

Diana

14. MyVintageCocktail

All my mannis have had names, too! There was Claire, now Lorena & Kimmie. And I have one who doesn't have arms to fit her, so she's stuffed in a box and remains nameless.

15. midwestdarling

midwestdarling Registered Guest

I'm a broke college student so I rigged up my own dress form. Two bed pillows with a corset, bra and some fabric to shape up the boobs, stick it on a tripod and viola!

a little ghetto I know but it does the trick.

16. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I rue the day I sold my dress form. Now it's use Ms. Thang or use nothing.

I love Ms. Thang, but that dress form was easy-peasy & I miss it.

17. Velvetsage

Velvetsage Registered Guest

Mannequins

Dave's surplus mannequins has all types. He's in Delaware, and ships UPS for a reasonable price. I bought a 1980's Decter shipped for under 300 dollars. He has Rootsteins, Patina's, etc. Lots of specials, too. Males, kiddies, torsos.