1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manson-Frocks - Need label ID help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Rebecca McNamara, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Rebecca McNamara

Rebecca McNamara Registered Guest

Hi everyone -
    I am researching a dress from about 1900-1910. It has a label sewn into it that reads "Manson=Frocks." I have been unable to find ANY information (using both primary + secondary sources) on a design or import house named "Manson Frocks." There were a few Mansons that sold clothing in the early 20th century in Philadelphia and New York, but I haven't been able to confirm if any of them relate to this label/garment. The dress goes with a jacket, which has an L. S. Ayres (Indianapolis retailer) label. Has anyone seen this label before or have any insight?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Manson-Frocks_detail.jpg Dress_Manson-Frocks_76-356-2.jpg

Many thanks!
    Rebecca

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Can't help with this label but just had to say what a beautiful gown! Hopefully, someone here will be able to help you out with it.

Rebecca McNamara likes this.
  3. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I suspect it may have been a store/shop. Did you happen to see this mention of Manson Frocks in this novel? It takes place in NYC and if you read the "About this Book" section it is rather fascinating and I would bet the author is writing based upon facts from her own first-hand knowledge. Anyway, if you read the first chapter, I think there are some clues there thay may provide more research avenues.

It is a beauty. Good luck! !

https://books.google.com/books?id=p...Q6AEICjAA#v=onepage&q="manson frocks"&f=false

Rebecca McNamara likes this.
  4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The label I see stitched onto your dress says & Manson Frocks and looks as though it is folded over. This rather suggests to me there is another name preceding this and perhaps after a partner's death or change of ownership they stopped using that name, preferring to use up old labels in this manner rather than ordering new ones. If there is a chance the remainder has not been cut off I'd be inclined to undo that end and see what it says...
    This could also help with dating, as it would suggest this garment was made shortly after the change of name.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a very lovely dress. I am of no help with the label, but the dress appears to be from right around 1907 - 1908.

6. Rebecca McNamara

Melanie, what a fascinating interpretation! I will definitely take a closer look at the dress/label and explore that possibility.

7. Rebecca McNamara

Barbara, you are correct! We have it dated to about 1908!

8. Rebecca McNamara

I had indeed seen that GoogleBooks result...but didn't know what to make of it, since the matching jacket has an L.S. Ayres label, which was a well-known Indianapolis department store. It would be strange, I think, for someone to purchase the dress at an NYC store and then the jacket in Indianapolis. That's why I thought it would be a design/import house. But I will definitely explore NYC city directories to see if I can't find a Manson Frocks retailer.

9. Rebecca McNamara

Barbara, sorry, I just realized my original post said 1900-1910 - I had updated the date since then to about 1908. Glad we are on the same page about the approximate date :)