1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Benet Formals?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by foofoogal, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Judie Cole

Judie Cole Registered Guest

2. Judie Cole

1974 from his pageant collection

3. Judie Cole

4. Catherine Cox

Catherine Cox Registered Guest

May be late to the party replying now... I was a big Mike Benet fan, had a number of formals purchased for prom, deb ball, and sorority formals. I think I have a several pictures of them, if anyone would be tickled to see the dresses circa late 80s (big Texas hair, and all!).

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  5. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Pics please!!!

6. I don't know that the Mike Benet label has ever changed much. It looked old-school even in the 70s. The white dress looks 60s to me, but could be more recent. It's only been around since the early 60s, anyway... even though the styling of the label looks older.

7. Lost Angels Vintage

Lost Angels Vintage Registered Guest

Hi Everyone! I would love some background on this beautiful little number. The color and the feel and I'm guessing the care in creating this garment is why it stands out so much to me ! It speaks as a protest to everything fast fashion is not

Attached Files:

8. Hello, Lost Angels. Looks modern to me. Could be 90s (which, to me, is "modern"). So pretty. Love the color. Mike Benet dresses always have that "well-made" feel to them. And the tag can be misleading as it looks old, but the company was only founded in the early 60s. They are still in business, from what I can tell, although the original owners sold the company in the 1990s. Here's our Label Resource entry:

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/benet-mike/

9. Lost Angels Vintage

Lost Angels Vintage Registered Guest

90s is Modern lol!!! Thank you for such a quick reply. I was thinking it was older because the tag had the dry clean only on it and I know some have that and some dont. Ive been trying to locate any info on the tag change to see if it could help me date it. It doesn't look or feel like a 90s glamour gown ( live viewing....but from the picture I can see how it would...then again I was in high school in the 90's and my formal dresses weren't so amazing so maybe it is) It is sooooo tiny which is also why I thought older....but then again this is my first experience with this designer. I have to add I am so thrilled to find this website it has been a gem of a reference point. I started into vintage almost a year ago and I love the vibe tribe it brings! Love and Light!!!

10. Glad to have you here, Lost Angels.

It could be 80s. To me, everything from late 80s to now looks exactly the same, and I tend to lose track of time, LOL. I don't think it's any older than that. We can see what others think.