1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Royal Fashion Watching!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by jazzbug, Jul 5, 2016.

1. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Fashioning-a-Reign_microsite_Full.jpg

An unprecedented look at Queen Elizabeth II's fashion during her 64 years on the throne, when Fashioning a Reign: 90 Years of Style from The Queen's Wardrobe opens at Buckingham Palace on July 23.

Click HERE to see the exhibit preview images.

Wish I could be in the UK at this time; it would be so fun to see!

148809-1297437926.jpg
    Throughout her reign Her Majesty has exclusively patronised British designers, in particular the great couturier Sir Norman Hartnell (1901–1979). On a State Visit to The Netherlands in 1958, The Queen wore an evening gown in Hartnell's hallmark style, combining luxurious fabric and rich embellishment. The dramatic full skirt and stylish asymmetric bodice is typical of the crinoline-skirted gowns that Hartnell designed for Her Majesty in the 1950s and 1960s.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hartnell did some great dresses for the Queen in the late 50s. I have never seen a pic of this one before. I like its sari references. She wore one around the same time on a state visit to Canada with Maple leaves: tumblr_n7t3wqaUVE1qf46efo1_1280.jpg

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Those are beautiful. A brilliant combination of fashion and political symbolism.

jazzbug likes this.