1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nardis of Dallas?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by sharedspirit, Apr 10, 2008.

1. sharedspirit

sharedspirit Registered Guest

Does anyone have any information about Nardis of Dallas? Years of operation?

My 8 year old is a thrift store addict. She goes straight to the clothing to find stuff for her dress up chest. Sometimes if I beg she'll let me keep one of her finds.

Today she came home after shopping with a friend and showed me this beautiful full circle skirt which I'm pretty sure is from the 50's.

It's got that tiny little waist and a very full swinging skirt. It's a black very heavy tafetta? like material. The only tag is a small one at the waist that says Nardis of Dallas. It seems to have been hand made.

Will post pics tomorrow. I found out a little about the company because one of the founders is the one who took the footage of JFK in Dallas.

I'll also put up a pic of the tag.

2. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Nardis was a department store, I've had a couple dresses w/ that label...always nicely made. Pics!

Ang

3. sharedspirit

Will post pics tomorrow afternoon. Skirt is here but my camera is at my office. I found this info on the web. Not sure how accurate it is.

Abraham Zapruder: Encyclopedia II - Abraham Zapruder - Background

Abraham Zapruder - Background
    Abraham Zapruder was born into a Russian-Jewish family in the city of Kovel in Ukraine (then under the Russian Empire). He received only four years of formal education in Russia. In 1920 during the turmoil of the Russian Civil War, he emigrated to the United States and settled in Brooklyn, New York.

In 1941, he moved to Dallas to work in the garment industry and co-founded a company called Nardis. In 1959, he founded his own company that produced two clothing brands, Chalet and Jennifer, Jr.'s. His offices were located in the Dal-Tex Building, just off Dealey Plaza.

4. sharedspirit

When I hung the costa dress I found up on the wall, she stood underneath it so only her legs were showing. Then she wanted me to take a picture. I have to hid my finds from her just to keep peace in the house sometimes.

5. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

LOL what a character your kid is!

I've had several Nardis pieces over the years -- at once Point I found literally dozens of them in one location. It was weird. Most with original tags - I think the lady had been a plus sized model for Nardis in the 60's & 70's.

All the stuff I handled was pretty well made, if a little dowdy. Of course, being from the 60's & 70's & mostly polyester, that's maybe not surprising. I didn't know they were producing in the 50's! I'd love to see it ;)

6. sharedspirit

Here it is. When I lay it out on the floor it's a huge circle! I'm almost positive this is 50's but if not, please let me know! there is some missing pieces on parts of the trim design. It's almost like it was glued or painted on the fabric? Any Ideas? Any way to fix it? The skirt looks great even with the missing pieces in a few spots. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Cute!

Well -- it sure LOOKS 50's. And the tag looks 50's, too. Much older tags than the items I had.

Very cute!

8. sharedspirit

Worth trying to sell with the damage? Or does my daughter get it back for her play chest? If anyone has any ideas as how to fix it, I'd be thankful! I had googled my fingers sore trying to find a tag like this but couldn't.

9. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I know this thread is almost a decade old, but I wanted to set the record straight. Nardis of Texas was actually a manufacturer of women's clothing, especially sportswear. As far as I can find, it opened in the 1930s. In the early 60s Nardis supplied the women's clothing for The Dick Van Dyke Show.

cmpollack and pinky-a-gogo like this.