1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying this fur!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Chris wilson, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Chris wilson

Chris wilson Registered Guest

I recently inherited this fur coat. I have no information about it other than it was my grandmothers. There is only one label or mark on the fur and I can not find any information on it. If you Know who makes this, what era it is from or anything about it please help!

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, Pretty stroller length rabbit fur coat. It looks like it dates to the 70s. I am not familiar with the name on the label but I think the animal underneath the name looks like a rabbit also.

3. Chris wilson

Thank you! Now I have something to go on. The label says Grapia but I have never heard of that and I can't find anything about it on the web. My wife loves it and wants to keep it but she is curious of the maker

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I don't know why, but I see an otter rather than a rabbit in that logo (although it's perhaps like those illusion drawings that can fool the mind). I see two front paws, a tail curling round the back and it's head side on looking over the left shoulder, so we see the right ear/eye/nose with whiskers.
    I also wondered if it is not G.Rapier because the R is capitalised. Perhaps search for a trademark of this name?
    Is this the only label? no care label?
    I LOVE the fur tassells!

5. Chris wilson

I thought it looked like an otter too! I don't K of much about otter fur but this fur is incredibly soft and fairly thick. Yes the label in the pic is the only one on he coat. I have turned it inside out and checked the pockets but found nothing. I will try to search G. Rapia and see what I can find. I didn't think of that. And I will search for that label with otter fur to see what that comes up with. My wife thought I was crazy when I said it's an otter, now I feel a little better! Thank you for your help if I find out anything I will post it

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Just to clarify, I only said the label image looked like an otter to me. I couldn't comment on the fur as I don't know about it.

7. Chris wilson

Oh I understand! It's worth a search though. Everything I know about this coat is purely speculation. I am thankful for any tips I receive that may help me identify the manufacturer

8. Chris wilson

I found this picture online. The embroidery looks similar but still doesn't tell me who the manufacturer is

Attached Files:

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hmm the other label in that example looks like Gra Pia and I think it says France?

10. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

You both are probably right. The animal under the logo could be an otter. I actually thought I could see bunny ears folded down but now I can see that was wrong. Sorry about that. Interpreting characteratures is not my best suit. I can see that tail now as Melanie mentioned and I am not sure if that little animal in the logo image is an otter, a seal, or a sea lion. One of those I think.

That other label you showed might or might not be the same maker.The letters are the same but the logo image is different, the spacing, as well as the capitalization of the letters are different. That makes me wonder if some combination of those letters makes a French word or words.

The logo image would not be indicative of the fur type but coincidentally your fur and the fur in the collage photo are both rabbit fur.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Pinkcoke likes this.
  11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Grapia is not a French word and I can't think of any explanation in French... My search keeps turning up a Portuguese plant name, which isn't what we're looking for either :hysterical:.

peaceful vintage likes this.