1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to vintage - am i ready to list?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jthomas6759, Nov 5, 2004.

1. jthomas6759

jthomas6759 Registered Guest

first - i am so glad i found 'yall. i have been selling items on ebay for years, but have just found the courage to list wonderful vintage clothing. i am trying to learn all i can. i have purchased some pieces that i would like to start listing and wanted to run them by 'yall for your opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2 piece gown and peignoir

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    2 pc wool skirt set with rhinestone sweater

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    lillie ann suit - can i call it a sailor suit? (love the collar)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    beautiful navy button down back - what is this type of shouder? there is taupe thin material underneath - almost like hose.

i have lot's of other pictures that i will add to the auctions. well that's it for now. what do 'yall think? i really appreciate your opionions.
    julie

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I think all these items are beautifully presented and they are all just stunning!!! There is not one that I don't like. I think you will do just fine with your photos and merchandise! Yes, I think you could call the Lilli Ann a Sailor Collar. Sailor suit may draw people looking for an actual sailor suit... And those look like French cuffs or modified french cuffs. also put white welting or white contrast piping in the description.

One of the issues that comes up when you jump to selling other items to selling vintage clothing (even if you sell modern clothing) is condition, condition, condition. (they all look to be in wonderful shape, but it really is crucial to mention as many particulars as you can as people cannot see and touch). Many sellers gloss over and say "great shape" "excellent for its age". etc....it is best to really use scrutiny... because every peson has a whole different concept of what excellent or good means. Is it "crisp", does it "Have a small pick in the ..i don't know...lapel...otherwise in excellent condition" Or " has a tiny tear in the lining, other wise in excellent condition.: etc etc.... so as long as you have that covered, you are on your way..

If you adopt some sort of a rating system it does help you and your customer speak a common language and avoid misunderstandings later. (i will cover more about this when i do the customer service workshop, later...)

On the last one, i would call them cut outs, but someone will have a better name. that is so classy!!!

3. Patentleathershoes

PS Julie, add a link to your auctions - you can go to edit profile and add the url to your auctions. even if you don't have the clothing up, its a great way for everyone to get to know eachother...and people tend to bid on things for sale by people that they "know" like this.

4. jthomas6759

thank you so very much. all this information is very helpful.
    julie

5. Patentleathershoes

No problem, and i am sure there will be more people who will come along tomorrow who will have something to say too. So no question is too silly, basic, or complicated...and if no one knows we look it up!

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

You are well on your way. Your photos are clear and your mannequin is a good style, and you have some attractive pieces to start with.

Be sure to put Lilli Ann in the title of that late 40s, early 50s suit, it should draw attention to it.

I would call the shoulder effect a portrait collar with cutwork insets at the shoulders. They are probably backed with souffle, a nude netting that gives them support and takes the strain off the cutwork.

Do give plenty of garment measures or people will drive you crazy asking for them.

and Welcome!
    Hollis

7. Patentleathershoes

I knew you would know Hollis!!!

And yes, i agree with measurements. measure the garment flat, and double that for bust, waist, and hip. be sure to include: bust, waist, shoulder to waist measurement, hips, overall length of the garment and shoulder seam to shoulder seam. Sleeve length is also helpful too.

8. Patentleathershoes

and Welcome!

oh and welcome again, too, officially this time. I "met" Julie previously by U2U, but this makes the welcome official :)

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

You look like an old pro to me... nothing about those pics says newbie to me! And you even did an excellent job of photographing black!

10. Patentleathershoes

you even did an excellent job of photographing black!

you will have to share your lighting tips on that with us. i have resorted to photographing it against a blue sheet...but yours are much clearer.

11. Julie, welcome.

The pictures are just beautiful and the clothing is superb!

The peignoir set looks 50s to me.

I love the Lilli Ann and it does kind of have a nautical look.

Seems like someone of this board was looking for a vintage sweater like you have pictured.

You are going to love this Board and being a vintage clothing seller.

P.S. I like your mannequin!

12. jthomas6759

you have all been so encouraging and helpful. i'm still looking and hoping for a vintage manni (maybe santa?). i don't have good luck with taking pic's inside, so i take my manni and we go outside on an overcast day. that's the only way i can get true colors most of the time.
    i really appreciate your help and auctions will start thursday. i picked up some other great things this weekend (shoes too, love the shoe info jonathan). i am afraid i am beginning to become addicted :mad:.
    thanks again yall,
    julie

13. Patentleathershoes

Let us know what your ebay id is so anyone interested can jump in : )

14. Patentleathershoes

And BTw your mannequin is perfect

I go outside too...i get the best pics that way. But i also tried what Carolyn (bigchief does...in a room with the lights off and use the flash)

15. Patentleathershoes

am afraid i am beginning to become addicted

Oh geez....if you are addicted...I am beyond all medical intervention!

16. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Julie, welcome!!

Well, I really have nothing to add - if you had not mentioned that you were new to vintage, I would've assumed you had been doing this for awhile.

Your pics, manni are great and the garments you have are wonderful!!

As the others said, clear measurements, and a factual and concise condition statement are so important with vintage clothing.

Looking forward to seeing your auctions....and get that link up under your signature here!

Sue

17. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Welcome Julie! I recognize your name/id - you just contacted us at VTA. :)

I have to agree - you look like an old pro and all those pieces are lovely. That black dress looks beautiful and you did a great job of photographing it. I used to do the outside overcast day too - but now I moved to the upstairs apartment and got a manniquin (instead of a dress form) - so trucking her 3-piece butt down the stairs and outside is too much of a hassle for me now. Plus, the people on my block look at her weird!!! hehehe

18. jthomas6759

I really appreciate all of the help 'yall have given me. You really know how to make everyone fell welcome! I finally got these first four items listed (along with my other stuff). Just in case you want to check them out.
    Thank you again,
    Julie

<a href=http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQallZ1QQcatrefZC6QQfromZR7QQnojsprZyQQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacategoryZQ2d1QQsassZnanniestreasuresQQsatitleZQQsinceZ30QQsofindtypeZ15QQsofocusZbsQQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1QQsspagenameZhQ3ahQ3aadvsearchQ3aUS>Click here to see my ebay items!

19. Patentleathershoes

Thanks for the link!!! Great work!

20. schoolsgirl

schoolsgirl Registered Guest

Welcome! I was going to say, what incredible photos and presentation for a newbie! Bravo!