1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norman Norrell for I. Magnin-Couture? Lots of ???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by debutanteclothing, Jul 4, 2007.

1. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

Hi Everyone.
    On a completely different mission, I found a Norman Norrell for I Magnin coat: brown velvet, verry shirt and matte, with blonde mink (I think) collar and bottom panel. I paid quite a bit for it. But something compelled me to buy it. Given the labels, is this a true couture piece?

Please excuse the quick and dirty pics.
    Sandra

Attached Files:

2. debutanteclothing

Here's the label

Attached Files:

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That's a very good one.:headbang:

Norell's ready to wear is generally considered top quality - couture level in it's construction and detail. The few pieces I have had are absolutely beautifully made.

I know I just saw that at auction somewhere.......

let me think.............

no, not at auction.

even better:

http://www3.fitnyc.edu/museum/luxury/norell.htm

Hollis

4. debutanteclothing

Oooh, I hope you find it Hollis! Even if I just break even, I'm so excited I found such a cool piece.

5. debutanteclothing

Oh my gosh! yay! Thank you Hollis!!! You rock.

I knew it. I'm so glad I got it. I even haggled at the thrift store. LOL.

Now what? I don't dare sell it myself. How much do you think it's worth.

6. debutanteclothing

So is this not couture but ready to wear?

7. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

OH MY!!! That coat is FABULOUS!!!

I believe it is very high-end ready to wear from what
    I read here and on Hollis' link, but hopefully Hollis will
    be back to confirm.

What a great find!

Sue

8. WOW! That is - WOW!!! at a loss for words... good for you!!!

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I pretty sure it's ready to wear with the I Magnin Label.

One thing that is odd is that the font on the label does not match the font as shown on the labels in our handy Label Resource. I have a couple Norells here and they all have the same font whether just Norman Norell or Norman Norell for ......

And a quick search through some websites shows all the same labels as we have there.

Is it possible it was an I Magnin generated and Norell approved copy of that Norell coat ? I don't know. Anyone??

I remember a snippet about I Magnin having some exclusive deal with Norell, but I don't know anything about the specifics.

It does look like the matching belt is missing, so you will want to take that in account when pricing. A search through websites will give you some ideas as to range.

Hollis

10. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Norell made beautiful rtw. Many of the Norell techniques are identical to those on Balenciagas. On a suit at the Met, Norell matched the plaid on the bound buttonholes to the plaid on the jacket.

Both Norell and Balenciaga did a unique turn under at the top of the armscye on sleeveless dresses. The shoulder seams extend almost like a cap sleeve; the dress is lined, then the extension is turned under. It hides that ugly crease on your arm.

The coat is really wonderful. I think the label was simply unique for I.M. If it had been made in I.M. Custom Salon it would have had a Custom Salon label, not a Norell label. Ready-to-wear was totally different in this period because there was no Fr. pret-a-porter. The stores frequently bought couture pieces to sell in their Costume Salons.
    Claire

11. debutanteclothing

I don't believe it was an I Magnin made piece because I was able to find the cover of the 1970 issue of Vogue and the fashion editorial features a number of other Norrells. I don't think they would feature an I Magnin made piece. But maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.paperpursuits.com/magazine_detail.cfm?catid=1&subcatid=4&pid=938#inside

The buttons say "Paris" on the back. Does that mean anything?

Thanks everyone for your replies. This is so awesome.

12. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

I dont think I Magnin produced the coat. But during the 60's and 70's I Magnin carried the best stuff.... So it is only a plus when it comes to that coat. I think I have a Lanvin dress with the same label treatment.

Beautiful coat great labels. Its all good. Wait until fall get a model and you should do great. Its hard to put a value on it. Great styling plus a great label I think you can put a high price tag on it. I have a Traina Norell istting here and I am still on the fence with price.

-Chris

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I was hoping Claire would see this!

and thank you for the sleeve detail! It's exactly how the sleeves are finished on this dress:

traina-norell dress

Chris has a good point. If you want to list this in the fall on ebay or a website, it will be worth hiring a model ( or borrowing a good manni with arms) and finding a wide belt to define the waist.

Hollis

14. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

That is one gorgeous coat! What is the color? It looks like eggplant, or is that just the lighting?

I am sure you will do very well with this one!:USETHUMBUP:

15. debutanteclothing

Brenda-the color is a dark chocolate brown.

So you think I should wait until Fall and sell it myself? I have no idea how to price it. I did just a google search and found no Norrell coats. I want to make sure it sells for what it's worth because it is such a good piece.

16. anessa

anessa Guest

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I just screamed OH MY GOD when I saw it! I love that coat and recognized it from the FIT exhibit immediately!

AHHHHH YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful coat! The absolute ultimate!

17. debutanteclothing

Hi Anessa. Thanks!

Man, I need to study a little more. Everyone here is so well informed and I've been slipping!

18. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a stunning coat! Lucky you!!! You will do well with this beauty.

19. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Gorgeous piece!

You might want to try stopping back at that thrift and checking their belt rack? If the item came in without the belt attached to it it's possible the sorters didn't realize it went with the coat? Worth a try!

Congrats!!

20. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Hollis, what a lovely dress, but this is a different sleeve. The one I described is actually just an extension about 1" of the shoulder seam; then it's turned under for a sleeveless armhole.

I'm off to Chicago for a few days. I'll try to send some photos when I return. I copied the technique for a pattern I did for Vogue. Claire