1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLD THREAD 2004 -just registered? INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by artisannes, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I agree with Leisa,...a lot of us have "opened up for business" again after the summer lull. Some of us have been vacationing, buying, getting married, contending with the WEATHER (all pretty minor stuff,right?) , and are back with some of our best stuff for fall....and since i am doing the talking...i guess some quirky stuff too...I know I certainly am. i can't wait to show it off.

(but, I am sure I will have TONS of questions as well...) : )

Chris

2. Aphrodite_Nymphia

Aphrodite_Nymphia Registered Guest

Hi everyone!! I have read through this thread three times already since I registered in August and every time I have started to introduce myself I have ended up having to go somewhere or do something and then things happened, stuff piled up, worst of all somewhere in the middle of all that my beloved cat of nine years, Kit, died and for quite a few weeks even vintage clothing couldn't cheer me up. Alas though here I am at last (hopefully this message will actually get posted!)....

My name is Emma and I am a 20 year old law student from Northern Ireland - I just started my second year at Trinity College, Dublin this week! My interest in vintage clothing started, truthfully, when I was in Primary Seven and we had to do a project on Victorian fashion (it was that or Victorian transport, there was no competition where I was concerned). Most, in fact all, of the rest of the class produced little 4 page mini projects while I raided the local library and produced a little book complete with illustrations that I copied from an old Harrods catalogue. I even split my book up into mens womens and childrens and the different decades. I think I had gone too far for a ten year old when I started going into detail about bodices and skirts, but then that was me, I was ecstatic to get a complete and unabridged copy of Pride and Prejudice for my 10th birthday!

Anyway after that I fell in love with Victorian fashion and bemoaned that I couldn't float around in layers of skirts and petticoats. Since then, however, my love of vintage fashion has extended to the 20th century, especially the 1950's, 30's and 20's most of which I buy off e-Bay because there seems to be very little interest in vintage fashion in this part of the world. Of course that is a plus when it comes to picking up stuff (I managed to pick up some beautiful glass, diamante brooches at a recent antiques fair for a great price), but it would be nice to have someone to share my interest with.

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Welcome Aphrodite! I think you may be our first poster from Northen Ireland. You will find people here with all sorts of vintage interests - it is great fun to see who loves what.

And I am sorry about your cat - so sad.

Hollis

4. Patentleathershoes

Welcome Emma, we are glad to have you!

There are a lot of people here who share your love of victorian fashion! (and every other era for that matter!) so in otherwords, you have found kindred spirits. Feel free to jump in and join the party at any time! There is a lot of Q&A that goes on, but also a lot of showing your finds off, discussing eras, and just hanging out.

I don't think we really have anybody else that I know of who is from Ireland! Your closest neighbors are our many British members...

Chris

5. Aphrodite_Nymphia

Thanks Hollis it was very sad for me because I kind of grew up with him, but I do still have his son (my other cat) so it could be worse. Thank you for the welcome too and thank you to you as well Chris. There is so much interest in vintage fashion in the UK, but there seems to be very little in Ireland. However, there is supposed to be a fantastic vintage shop called Jenny Vanders in Dublin, but I have yet to find it. My first vintage buy was a pair of 1960's silver, leather, Christian Dior sandals, but sadly they didn't fit me. Mind you that was February 2002 and I only got around to selling them last week!

6. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Welcome Emma!

We have several members from the UK and yes, the interest in vintage
    seems very strong in England - interesting to note that it is not quite
    as evident in Ireland.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. These little fur babies really do become
    members of our families and it is so hard when we lose one.

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!

Sue

7. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

For all our hundreds of members, a mere few have come in to introduce themselves.

Who are you? From whence come ye? C'mon, don't be shy. Tell us about you.

Brenda

8. Aphrodite_Nymphia

Thank you for the welcome Sue and it is interesting that you should say that I always call my cats my furry babies! I am not sure what it is in Ireland, but what I have experienced, at least is that a lot of people have the attitude to vintage clothes that men seem to have and are very turned off by the thought that someone else has worn them. I think that adds to the charm, I like to feel like I can experience a little piece of a bygone era by wearing vintage. My boyfriend on the other hand frequently comments "ohh can you imagine what someone else might have been doing in that!" Mind you I have converted him a little bit as he is becoming very partial to 1970's leather jackets.

9. Hello Emma & welcome!

(Emma, by the way, is one of my favorite names!)

It's wonderful that you found this group and now have like-minded folks to share your vintage passion with! You will find that everyone here is first class in character and that you will be most welcomed by everyone!

I am so sorry about your kitty. I just lost one of mine - in the last 3 years I have gone from 5 cats to only 2. It's so heartbreaking. But that is one of the wonderful things about this group. You don't have to only bring vintage conversation. You'll find that you will always have a sympathetic ear for all of life's events here, be it happy or sad.

So a big welcome to you!!

Cheers ~ Maureen

10. Whoops--I'm late. I'm glad I stopped in to get to say "WELCOME" to Wendy and Emma!

Steph

11. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Welcome Wendy & Emma!

Emma, that's great that there doesn't seem to be the passion for vintage in Ireland as there is elsewhere - less competition for you when you're shopping for resale :) You ought to be able to find <i>great</i> tweeds & horse/riding - related stuff. There's a great market for it here - and it's something I'm personally interested in too!

Carolyn

12. poptart

poptart Registered Guest

Hi Everyone!

I am from Toronto, Ontario Canada and I just love clothes. I am 32 and when I was a little girl if you asked what I wanted to be I would have told you "A DISCO QUEEN" New clothes, old clothes I love'em all!! I have a complete weakness for hats, purses and shoes. I trained as a hairdresser and worked for one of the world's best for a while. As a child, I was around my Aunt that worked for 30 years for two guys that created one of the most famous make up lines. I have also been fortunate enough to be around talented artists that paint, sculpt, photograph and create beautiful clothing and music.
    I am eager to "learn" more and see everyone's fabulous finds. I may also need help because we took the HUGE leap of faith and are opening a little store....(pray for me):D:D.

13. poptart

poptart Registered Guest

Just saw the "fur babies" LOL I have only one....And one wee little girl (3 years)

14. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

Welcome aboard! :)

15. Patentleathershoes

Welcome "poptart"!!!! :)

16. connie

connie Alumni

Hi all
    Another new member here. Doing my best to turn my love of old clothes into a profitable business. (Its slow going) Another cat lover here. I'm typing around one of my cats right now. I'm not sure if its ok to post links to your web business but if so, I will will later.

Aside from my cats, I have a (very patient) husband who puts up with my clothes overflowing all over the place. I live in Chicago where it is starting to get really cold (below freezing this weekend). I've been collecting clothes for quite a while now. My favorite era for collecting is the 1920's. If I were rich I'd be collecting regency era clothes but they are a bit out of my price range.

Anyway, hi to all
    Connie:)

17. Patentleathershoes

Yes, Connie, post links to your business. I think there are instructions on how to add to your signature in the new members section, but i will try and find a recent post about it and bump it up.

A very patient husband putting up with overflowing clothes is a rare find...I'd keep him LOL. Mine is generally supportive but he has moments of "too much stuff in the house :)"

You said you have been collecting for quite awhile. How long is that?

Welcome Connie!!

Chris

18. Patentleathershoes

19. connie

connie Alumni

Thanks for all the info!
    I tried to add a signature so we'll see if I did it right. I've been collecting for the past 15 years or so. I started like most people here I imagine - snooping around thrift stores. The first vintage piece I can remember buying was a sixties leopard skin fun-fur belt that was backed with leather. What a scream.

If my signature doesn't work right you can always visit me at www.cosmiccatvintage.com

Connie

20. connie

connie Alumni

Well, hate to reply to myself but... woo, hoo, the signature link worked!
    Connie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.