1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online fashion plates and articles from 1880s-1900s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by RaisinGirl, Jan 20, 2011.

1. RaisinGirl

RaisinGirl Registered Guest

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, if it's not can a moderator please lock the thread and move it?

I am not a fashion designer or dressmaker, and I don't have anything to sell. I just came here because I thought you might be interested to know about a blog I have started, in which I transcribe articles and post illustrations from some volumes of the 'Girl's Own Paper' which my mother handed down to me, which were handed down from her grandmother. They range in dates from the 1880s to the 1900s.

Of particular interest for this forum is obviously the regular feature "My Clothes, Month by Month". I have seen a few individual scanned pages of this feature on some websites, but not a complete archive. I am the first to admit that I know nothing about fashion, but the black and white illustrations are exquisite, and the "Lady Dressmaker's" commentary on the month by month fashions is an absorbing perspective into the effort and expense gone to in order to meet the era's beauty standard.

So far I have scanned illustrations and transcribed articles about the requirements for a bridal trousseau, and the November 1899 "My Clothes Month By Month", as well as a few individual fashion plates and, my favourite, an article written by an aristocratic young lady detailing her formal presentation at court.

I have checked a few pages of the forum, and I don't think I'm treading on anyone's toes in offering my blog as a reference, resource and, frankly, a fascinating insight into what Nice Young Ladies Did in The Olden Days.

http://highlightsfromthegirlsownpaper.tumblr.com

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Hi RaisinGirl--

The illustrations you've scanned ARE exquisite, and the commentary fascinating of course... Getting one's trousseau together was a LOT of work for those nice young ladies, wasn't it?

Thanks for letting us know about your blog, which I'll certainly be following, as I'm sure others here will want to also.

3. Yes, it's very interesting and thank you for bringing it to our attention. :)

4. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Very nice!

LOL at there was no "tl;dr in the olden days