1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on this YSL Yves Saint Laurent label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Cristina, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Cristina

Cristina Registered Guest

I am desperate for help with this YSL label... I came across this 3 piece set the other day, it's really well made with lots of hand finishing, and made from high quality velvet - but I can't seem to find any other labels like it... The labels do not indicate origin, material content, or size. They just say "YSL Yves Saint Laurent". The only other marking are on under the lining on the edges of the velvet material itself. It says "Superior Quality Velvet Model Yooshn Crown" and then pictures three Crown symbols.

I would guess that it is definitely not from the Rive Gauche line, but could it possibly be couture? Maybe Crazy 80's couture? :)

20120119.JPG 20120120.JPG

2. :jawdrop:

Jaw dropping gorgeous! Did you look behind the YSL label to see if there is a number? I think you are right in that it is 80s. I look forward to what others have to say.

3. Cristina

Hi, and thanks! It is pretty cool. You would have to have some serious attitude to wear it. :)
    There does not appear to be a number under the label. Had there been a number what would it indicate?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

There is something not very YSL about the taste - there is too much going on for him and the beadwork doesnt' relate well to each other or the pattern of the garment. YSL beadwork is probably done by Lesage and is thoughtfully laid out - this is random stitchdown and infill, which is a classic Chinese style of workmanship on export dresses going back to the 60s. It looks early 90s to me - really early 90s, like 1991, and there were still good quality garments coming out of places like Hong Kong for emerging markets like Russia at the time. The label doesn't look right to me - like it was salvaged from a hat or something. The way its stitched in is s bit peculiar and I don' t like the tear right under the label - it looks like something was removed.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

By comparison - here are two YSL jackets I found online, both dated 1990, and the design sensibility it very different:
    image_14.jpg YSL RIVE GAUCHE SILK FAILLE JACKET WITH TOPAZ COLOR CRYSTALS e 90 (6).JPG

6. Lucky for you, Jonathan weighed in. I trust his assessment.

Still a stunning outfit, though!

7. Cristina

Hi Jonathan, Thank you for your thoughtful response - you sound like you really know your stuff! I agree about the style - it's kind of..not what you would expect, but then again I haven't seen the complete collections from that period. I saw those other photos while browsing for more info as well; they are more sophisticated. The label on the jacket is not actually torn - perhaps that was my photography? Heres a picture of the label on the skirt...again bad photography sorry! Do you happen to know of any resources for runway images from the 1980's / 1990's?

20120121.JPG

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I like how that label is sewn in a LOT better than the first label... but I can't help any more than that. I see, its not a hole but rather a dent in the pile of the velvet, which means its probably rayon velvet?

9. Cristina

Hi, I am not sure the only notes about the material are on the edge of the material (under the lining itself) along the seams. It says: "Superior Quality Velvet Model Yooshn Crown" see below...As far as the label, I looked at the resources and there seems to be quite a bit of variation between all of them - which only makes this more confusing! :)
    20120122.JPG

10. Yes, but what is consistent on the script labels on the resource is the variation of thick to thin in the letters - the U is thinner to the left and the N is thin on the outer edges and then thick in the middle etc.. There is no variation on yours that I can see.

11. Cristina

I see what your saying, but I think this label does show some variation - perhaps my picture was too blury. I had to hold my breath to take this one... 20120123.JPG

12. Much clearer, thanks. The Ns are still not the same though - their outer edges should be as thin as the right hand side of the U.

13. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'd also point out that none of our previously seen labels have the three letter motif on the left either.

14. Cristina

Thank you for your input!
    I may be out of luck, but I will go back to researching the outfits style; if it can be linked to a collection that would probably be the best way to tell the authenticity at this point since.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help!

15. Woven labels come in two types: the more common type and a luxury "taffeta" version, which is better quality and a higher thread count. Naturally, the second type is more expensive and usually found on better quality garments.

Your label is of the lesser quality and that's why the font isn't as defined as the ones in the LR - with less stitches, it's unable to display the nuances. I consider it unlikely to be one used by a good fashion house.