1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Page from 1939 shoe catalogue

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Sep 13, 2016.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

This turned up on my Facebook page. I was surprised by some of those heels.

Page from shoe catalogue 1939.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

My heart be still....those are amazing....that 2nd green pair is my fave!!!

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That peg shaped heel is the first time I have ever seen it before, but 1939 was a banner year in shoe design and some very strange things came out that year.

4. What goes around appears to come around and around! Some look so much more modern than what we would think of for 1939....the first and second pair, for instance, would have been shoes that I wouldn't have identified from that year! Love the old ads and thanks for sharing, Amanda!

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

God those are gorgeous! I agree with Mary Jane that the green pair with the spiralling heel is off the charts.

Thanks for sharing, Amanda!

Sartorial Eloquence likes this.
  6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I tried and failed to purchase a pair with the spiral heel on fleabay. Will have to see if I saved a picture of it. Might even have shared them here? They were of middle eastern origin if I remember correctly.

I have a pair of 1960s knitted metallic gold ankle boots like the first pair, only difference is they have a flat heel.

The 2nd and 8th pairs wouldn't be that hard to reproduce, being a solid wooden wedge and fabric threaded through. A couple of people on OLL have made shoes like this by stripping down modern wooden wedges.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

The green ones... :jawdrop:

9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I'm with the green ones crowd!
    They are all fabulous.

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Just came up on FB: Betty Grable c.1942 (source unknown)
    [​IMG]