1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help dating this safari suit - never seen label Sonia Rykiel JEANS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Esther, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Esther

Esther Registered Guest

Hello to all of you nice and knowledgeable people here on VFG!
    Can someone please help me with this label that i've never seen before: Sonia Rykiel Jeans?! Google can't help...
    It's a linen and cotton safari suit, high waisted skirt with metal zipper. Long unlined jacket. I would think 80s, but I need some reassurance... also, the keychain kind of thing hanging on the skirt confuses me, maybe it doesn't belong to the suit but was just added later?!
    Thank you,
    Esther 2017-03-29-15-39-59.jpg 2017-03-29-15-42-27.jpg 2017-03-29-15-43-03.jpg 2017-03-29-15-43-53.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I was reading about that label in one of her obits from a couple of months ago. I recall it was part of an expansion of lines she did in the 1980s/1990s but I can't remember when

3. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

I would say 90's because designers were coming out with jeans labels then... And they were doing suits.

4. Agree with early '90s, maybe mid '90s - shoulder pads or lack thereof will help date it. It looks like a suit. The skirt is just a normal, not a high waist.

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

An October 1995 article announced: "

PARIS - Sonia Rykiel is launching a jeans collection for women next spring.

The line, called Sonia Rykiel Jeans, is being treated as a "luxury sportswear" collection that will appeal to 25-year-old women as well as to faithful Rykiel clients, said a company spokeswoman.

6. Great sleuthing Lynne!

7. Esther

Esther Registered Guest

Wow, thank you all very much for the prompt reactions! Helped me a lot. And of course, the jacket has no shoulder pads... I was just so confused because I couldn't find any info on this label.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017