1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plus size with difficult shape

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by panda878, Mar 4, 2014.

1. panda878

panda878 Registered Guest

Another question, this time for my mum. We have this dress on order for her, but are looking for more options. It is for her 60th birthday, and she loves spots, cherries, oranges and greens.

mums dress.jpg

She wants to stick with this style - boat neck and flared, but can't pull off a cinched waist. All of the dresses similar to this one that I have come across would suit an hourglass shape, but mum is more of a... as she puts it... barrel! This one is the only one I have found that would suit her shape. If anyone can suggest other suitable options (not just websites with possibilities) we would both really appreciate it!

Measurements:
    Bust 44"
    Waist 41"
    Hip 44"

2. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

If I was designing for your mom, pick the same neckline and use a princess seamed sheath. She can get her fullness using a 195os like poof that could ruch around the neckline then flow from the waist area and flow to the hem of the dress. Or that beautiful sheer full hostess over skirt.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

If the measurements you gave are the dress measurements (as opposed to her personal ones), this could work, but it's a fitted skirt, not full
    [​IMG]

My manni Josephine is too skinny to show it off properly - it's 44/41/45"

4. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

mcalls dress with flair.jpg This is not my pattern ..just the style of dress that can be altered to skim over the barrel waste you mentioned.. the drape can be positioned and even tacked near the back of this dress. You can hide a multitude in this cut!
    ALso MAGS RAGS sheath above can be used and an added lace redingote as a companion.

5. panda878

panda878 Registered Guest

Thanks so much for your replies.. have put the search on hold due to moving house.

The measurements I gave are mum's actual measurements, not that of the dress. She has gone and lost weight now though!

I live quite a distance from her, so will have to wait until I am down there now. I will look at those ideas though and put them to mum :)

Thanks again :)