1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting my VFG purchases to good, fun use in 2016 : ).

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Better Dresses Vintage, Dec 29, 2016.

1. All of these purchases I made from VFG Trade Members saw good use in 2016:

I bought this black silk 20s dress from Maggie (DeniseBrainVtg) a while back and have worn it before. This time it went with me to "The Fashionable Past" 20s-60s clothing exhibit at Atlanta History Center's Swan House with members of my Atlanta Time Travelers group. But wait... I'm also wearing a 1920s pink bead sautoir I bought from Heather (NobleVtgClothier)!
    DressingRoomLizaSwanHouse.jpg

This gorgeous dress from Tiffany (PinkyaGogo) went to both my Downton Abbey finale party AND an outing to a dress-up event at a local dance studio. It's a favorite! (that's my mom at center in cream blouse).
    DowntonPartyGroup030616SMALL.jpg
    20sEarly_NavyBlackLaceCROP.JPG

Here's a dress I bought from Hollis (PastPerfectVtg). I'm on the set of a period film for a local filmmaker. It's called "The Confetti" (no idea why, and I have lines, that's how small a film we're talking). No pay. I do it to wear the clothes, of course! This dress doesn't have a full skirt, it was just extremely windy that day!
    LizaHoldingWaistSmileCROP.jpg

Next, a wool dress from Lynne Marzilli (MarzilliVtg), worn to go "Victorian Ice Skating" with my dress-up group on Boxing Day! Beneath it, a wire mini-bustle she sent me as a gift! At first, the dress didn't even reach my ankles. Beneath the ruffle I discovered an ancient tuck which I let out. Still too short, so I removed the entire ruffle and reattached it just above the hem's edge. Perfect! I think this may be my new favorite silhouette. So tidy.
    Combo-PolkaDotMarzilliDressBeforeSkatingSMALL.jpg
    Oh! And I bought the hat I'm wearing on the rink from Tish (LadyScarlettsVtg)!
    SkateAction_Liza+SmithGirls.jpg

And finally, another favorite dress, from Heather (NobleVtgClothier), worn yesterday for another scene in "The Confetti." Dan (my real husband) wasn't too thrilled, but I got married! My antique silk stockings sadly did not survive the festivities. I was pleased to wear my real wedding shoes and veil again (albeit behind my head, rather than on top). I made the wreath a few days ago. Best I could do. I wanted an antique wax orange-blossom one but they cost a fortune, and this is a volunteer gig.
    PortratiAtBed.jpg

Wishing all my VFG colleagues a happy, healthy 2017.

xo

Liza

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

Wonderful to see how and where you worn those beautiful outfits.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
  3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

You are stunning!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
  4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful!

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

You wear the clothes so well, Liza. They really "become" you!

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh good heavens...who else wears older fashions so respectfully and beautifully? Thank you Liza!

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What Maggie said!

Liza, you look wonderful in those clothes and in those hats. :wub:

8. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

Liza, you look Fab in everything! I want your life! To be able to fit into the clothes from my
    favorite era's so beautifully and so often. You are one lucky lady!:wow22:

9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Liza, do you find that your physical movements, your body language, is changed by your period wardrobes? Is posture a part of the effect? I've always been curious.
    Marian

10. Why not both, Laura? Feel free to grab and use it. Happy to add to the newsletter however I can. : )

11. Absolutely, Marian. It's a combination of the undergarments, the cut of the clothes (there's less room in general and usually no stretch, and the seams are in different places than we're accustomed to), and also my own dance (and comportment, thanks, mom) training.

Also, I have to be careful in some of the older clothes. Can't make large, sweeping movements as it will damage the clothes. I remember last year, reaching into the back seat of the car, as you'd typically do without a second thought in modern clothes, and hearing the horrible sound of tearing silk. Bye-bye dress. I remind myself to be extra careful. Even so, it's rare to return from an event without any repairs needed at all. It's often how I spend the evening!

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

13. Thanks for sharing Liza - gorgeous outfits and pics. The ladies ice skating in their crinolines must have looked amazing!