1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about vintage eyeglass frames

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Midge, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

So I'm hooked on Etsy - and I'm fast getting my mum there too :hysterical:.

She adores 50s-60s cat-eye eyeglass/sunglass frames (she's a regular eyeglass fashionista - no matter if vintage or new!) and bought a vintage frame on Etsy (well I did the transaction via my account).

Anyway, they arrived today and she showed me them. They look great, but without accusing anyone of anything, they look newer... but maybe her gut feeling is wrong? I know pretty much nothing about vintage frames, I admit. She has some old ones, and they are all pretty heavy, but these are really, really light. They were sold as 50s-60s vintage, very good vintage condition, no lenses. They look like new and unworn, and what, besides the weight, seems a bit strange is that the little flower decorations look like they were molded together with the frame.

[​IMG]

Would love to hear your opinion. They frames weren't expensive, so no big loss, but she's made me scratch my head about it too...

Karin

2. They look authentic to me. I wear alot of vintage frames, and am always browsing and these look pretty real to me. they appear to be plastic with metal adornments, so they need not be heavy. I am very sensitive to heavy frames and all of mine are lightweight, but still very authentic.

that being said, anything is possible.

3. bycin

bycin Guest

Is there a stamp of any kind INSIDE the arms?

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I've certainly had lightweight frames from the 50s and 60s. I've also had NOS ones with no lenses in, in near perfect condition.

5. They look like the real deal :)

I have had some before where the aluminum has raised, attached molding. And without lenses they are quite lightweight.

Those are cute- love the flowers!:sunshine:

6. Midge

Thanks for the input, everybody! She just didn't know if vintage frames could be so light and made this way, and I have no idea at all either. I'll ask her if she can find a stamp, but now I'm certain that they are truly vintage.

Karin

7. Midge

Just had another message from my mum - the marking inside one of the arms is U/2 5 1/4 USA. Does this help?

She says the arms are definitely molded in one piece with the flowers, and then they were painted with the brown color.

Karin